So what if my beardie lays her eggs outside?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

So what if my beardie lays her eggs outside?

Postby OrangeSoba » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:57 pm

My bearded dragon spends a lot of time outside. I’ve noticed an access of scratching/digging and sleep lately from my beardie, since she’s been around a male I’ve marked this is gravid behavior. Today she dug a little cave outside in my rock garden, which gave me an interesting thought.

What happens if I just let her lay eggs without human contact, just like in the wild? Would the eggs get incubated naturally? I live in south Texas, so the weather is constantly hot, and switches between dry and humid.

I’m asking this because I don’t wanna make a mistake. I would love to test if my yard is capable of raising baby lizards, but I honestly have no idea what to expect. So please, thoughts, opinions, advice, ideas?
OrangeSoba
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: So what if my beardie lays her eggs outside?

Postby AHBD » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:52 am

Hi there, it is an interesting idea but you probably would have a 50-50 chance of them getting raided by insects or other prey animals. You'd also have to have a means of keeping the hatchlings contained . Sometimes the eggs hatch during the night when you wouldn't be there to see them emerge from the ground.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Re: So what if my beardie lays her eggs outside?

Postby loljelloclowdz » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 pm

I wouldn’t risk them getting out in the wild - invasive species can be really bad.
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
loljelloclowdz
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion