George hasnt moved in two days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do you have Georges tank on the floor? I am trying for the life of me to figure out why you would need 2 100 watt heat lamps ---- if he is on the floor I would recommend you get him off the floor --- get his tank on a dresser or some sort of stand - you can get old dressers w/ drawers from your second hand stores to keep his supplies in --- they like to see what is going on around them and not floor level
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
When I first got George and had no knowledge of bearded dragons, I was running some temp tests with the dual dome fixture with two UV bulbs. I noticed that with one light, the highest temps would get around 95-103F. I did research and it stated that some adult bearded dragons loved hotter temps and to never go past 115F as it would cook your dragon. So when I was testing the temperatures with my dual light dome, I noticed that with two lights on, I got the best temperatures. So I kept both lights on for him as he would enjoy basking under there the whole day. Recently when that one bulb went out is when I started noticing him acting strange. Just yesterday after his meal is when it clicked and noticed that maybe it was because ive only had one light ON. I will experiment today by turning on both lights and see what he does. Yes, I used to have him on a table inside my music studio but I recently started using that table because I bought more studio equipment. It has been approximately 1 1/2 months that I have had him on the floor, if you think he is better off on a table then I will definitely place him back on there and have to put the equipment elsewhere.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please get George off the floor --- he will be happier on eye level and it wont be drafty as well - the floor is cold - especially in the winter time --- :) see if your temps change w/ him being off the floor - as they get older dragons do not like hotter temps -- it is good to offer them a gradient heat and a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand or lay on is good - Petsmart has some really nice decor that offers that -- my 2.5 yr old starts out on the hottest part of the log in the morning then moves to a different area w/ different temps during the day
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
Sounds good thank you for your advice! I will definitely move him today! By the way, is there any way you can post a link to the decor you use? Would love to purchase it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you have a local petsmart you can go look to see what they have in your store - this is a thrive piece I have this same piece but it was a All Living Things when I got it -- it is made out of resin material so its easily washed -- I have one in each of my tanks and my dragons use them all the time you can sit this piece in different ways - I have the long stick part that is sticking up layed on the floor so they sit in between it and the bigger part of the trunk up so they can lay on it under the basking light - they can stand against it as well https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
and there are two other hides I use as well - one did not come from petsmart but from dubiaroaches.com and the rock I have in the other tank is no longer made I got it from petsmart as well but they dont carry it anymore -- Hiccup loves that rock / hide - I have it under his UVB and he sits up against it or sleeps in the cave --
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
If it wasnt for your help, George probably would have been in a worse condition. I started remodeling my studio room, painted it, and I took the chance to clean out Georges house and change his substrate from reptile carpet to tile from home depot. I changed around his environment as well and put him up on my table again. 30 Minutes after the change, he pooped this huge looking white thing (i think it was constipation?). After that, He is more active than ever, jumping from decor to decor and climbing like hes never have before! He is super happy and its all thanks to you! I appreciate your time and effort and I am glad George is better than ever!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So what exactly did you change? His basking temps how are they now? Are you still using the 2 100 watt bulbs you were or just one? I am glad to hear he is more active - is he eating good?
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
I changed around his decors and put it in the new floor tile. I only have 1 bulb on at the moment, He has a huge appetite now, he runs towards his food and eats his veggies like its his last meal. Also, since our last chat, I wa s giving him 2 warm baths a day because he hadnt pooped in 4 days. Basking temps are still around 100-110F

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you only need one UVB --- distance for a T 8 is 6-8 inches from decor piece and did you buy more decor or still using the same ones? He does not need those many baths - I would knock that down to once a week if that - as long as hes getting hydration from his veggies rinse before serving he will get moisture thru them and his insects gut loaded w/ food and you can feed them carrots or squash for hydration - dont feed the dragon carrots too to much Vit A -- we dont recommend that many baths per week -- only if they have soiled themselves etc --- or really like baths
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom