Mushu needs your help! *GOUT IN YOUNG BEARDIE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephaniejoplin

Hello dear friends. I am in need of your love, support and help. *GOUT ADVICE*

My Mushu (just over a year) has irreversible gout, confirmed today after three vets, about a month of be administering sub fluids, intramuscular antibiotics, supplements and feeding mostly by syringe. Per the exotics vet, there's no way to make him better. She said I have to just monitor his quality of life and make that judgment for myself, which is the hardest thing I will ever have to do when that time comes. She did say he looks so much better and that two soaks a day will help a lot. I soak him 30 min each day as it is. I think i need to do a deep dive online and see if any of you know of any helpful treatments for gout in beardies that will prolong his quality of life.

As of right now, his head is up, he loves to cuddle with me and he is alert, but he’s gone from eating 10-15 dubias or superworms every other day to barely two, and greens? Forget about it. I syringe feed them with water (he won’t drink on his own either, even when he soaks).

His enclosure is cushioned with non-pilly towels per the vet, as she said since he cannot walk very well, he would have a hard time getting around with the enrichment I had beforehand and the softness of the towels is of comfort. I did leave his basking spot, but covered it so he is still able to bask, which he loves. They weren’t keeping him on an elevated spot at all in the hospital, just flat surface.

Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated. I know there’s not much advice from the vet on gout in beardies, but I thought maybe I would reach out and ask. I’d do anything to prolong Mushu’s happiness here on earth with me.

Thank you for your time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Roaches are not a good diet for dragons w/ gout- they can be put on allopurinol- it will help w/the swelling- it keeps the uric acid down preventing the inflammation in the joints- your vet should of known this- Tracie drache613 can help you w/ this- it sounds like you might need to start feeding slurries if greens-- I am thinking silk worms might be a better staple feeder than roaches-
Karrie

stephaniejoplin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1thh8tdm said:
Roaches are not a good diet for dragons w/ gout- they can be put on allopurinol- it will help w/the swelling- it keeps the uric acid down preventing the inflammation in the joints- your vet should of known this- Tracie drache613 can help you w/ this- it sounds like you might need to start feeding slurries if greens-- I am thinking silk worms might be a better staple feeder than roaches-
Karrie
Hi Karrie! Thank you so much! What had your experience been with the allopurinol? My vet mentioned some issues with skin lesions and she wasn’t too certain about prescribing it when she was telling me about it. Of course I am willing to try. I am definitely making slurries and atm not feeding any insect protein. Trying to focus on all the greens and a few fruits mixed in and syringe feed him to make him strong!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Mushu, I am sorry to hear about his gout diagnosis.....so many are developing it now,
no matter their age.
Can you post some pictures of him, along with the tank setup too just so we can see the
entire scenario? As Karrie suggested, dubias are naturally high in uric acid so I normally
recommend lowering the intake of dubias & overall protein for the week. Try silkworms,
phoenix/calcium worms, hornworms & superworms & crickets. Basically just give variety,
but protein needs to be at a minimum.
What do you gutload your dubias with?
What type/brand of UVB are you using & which supplementation do you give him?
If you have a copy of his blood tests, please post that as well. I was wondering what his uric
acid levels were. You can also start him on black or tart cherry juice for help with flushing out
his system.
Allopurinol does help. It is highly effective but of course, each case is different. It depends on
the severity of things.
It sounds like you have made him very comfortable with the soft towels for his tank so he can
get around better.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tracie can help you since she has more experience w/ the meds for dragons than I -- the only experience I have w/ allopurinol is I am on it for gout--- and I dont know if people get lesions from it or not but I have not - humans are supposed to reduce their fiber intake w/ gout --- I would pull him off the dubias for a staple and get him on silk worms -- since he should be mostly on veggies anyway thats gonna help- silk worms are fed mulberry leaves I get them in a powder form and mix w/ water- so I am thinking they are going to be lower in protein --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for contacting me. I am glad that your vet prescribed allopurinol for Mushu. I hope
that he is feeling better soon. I am sure that he will like the black/tart cherry juice, too. You
can give .5 to 1ml, daily along with a bit of extra fluids to help him out.
I agree with Karrie, skin lesions are not real common. I have had several rescues through
out the years with gout & never had any problems with that at all.

Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom