Why is it so so hot!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graxon

Hello, I'm a new baby beardie owner, I've had my little herm for about 5 days now and I finally got a temp gun today so I could check it's hot spot and I cannot believe it but I was up in the 140 degrees range. I'm using the bulb and reflector that came with the tank and I cannot figure out why the hot spot is so crazy hot. I just switched the bulb out for a lower wattage one that I just had here at the house but idk if this one will get hot enough now. But I just can't figure out why the light that came with it so crazy hot... If done correctly, here's a pic of my setup below. The temp gauge that is laying up there maxed all the way out over way over 120 and I thought, no way thats right but then the temp gun I just bought proved that it was in fact that hot.

Edit Update: I raised jerry rigged a think to raise up my light a little bit and I seem to have gotten the temp perfect now, unless it keeps going up. Still need to wait a little bit to see for absolutely sure but right now its at 108 degrees. And Ill be getting one of the the long uvb lights really soon, within the next day or 2.

108763-8938783882.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recommend you get a digital probe thermometer you can get them from Petco or PetSmart for $7--- what was the wattage you had in there and what did you put in? What size tank is he in now? I recommend a 24" w/ a reflector-- and a Reptisun 10. 0 T 5 bulb
Karrie

Graxon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3iuvotsh said:
I recommend you get a digital probe thermometer you can get them from Petco or PetSmart for $7--- what was the wattage you had in there and what did you put in? What size tank is he in now? I recommend a 24" w/ a reflector-- and a Reptisun 10. 0 T 5 bulb
Karrie
It is a Reptisun 10.0. The tank I got was a 20 gallon whole kit thing that came with the light dome and the UVB and heating bulb and some other stuff I'm not gonna use like a heating pad and dry mixed food samples. I will be getting one of the tube uvb lights in the next couple days and I have Jerry rigged a little contraption to raise it's current lights a little bit higher up and I seem to have gotten the temp right now. The very hottest spot I can find now is 112 but that's directly in the middle straight down from the light and most of the surface is between 107 - 110 now. Oh and I put the original bulb back in because the other one I switched to was definitely not hot enough.

Graxon

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":3llzna9n said:
Your beardie must look like a piece of calamari ? lol (no really, is he okay?)
Yes he's alright. He was smart enough to know to stay in the shade of his wood perch. I didn't have that rock/cave in there for the first couple days so sadly it was even worse then. I'm really glad that he himself (or her herself) could feel that it was too hot. That's how I knew something was wrong because he never basked up in the open light. That's when I put the temp gauge from the side of the tank directly under the basking light and was blown away to see the needle literally go all the way around as far as it could go and thought there's no way that's right but sure enough the laser temp gun said the same thing and that's when I kinda went into a panic and made an account here to make this post. I have also now joined a bearded dragon Facebook group and the bearded dragon subreddit. I really want to make sure I always have multiple avenues to seek any urgent info from. But thankfully, yes he is fine. He at some squash and crickets today. Everywhere around me is sold out of dubia roaches until Friday so we will have to do with crickets just until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom