Off His Feed - When to Worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Figment ate nothing on Tuesday night and only a few bites of squash and kale yesterday; he didn’t want any dubias at all. This isn’t like him; he’s been eating less the past few weeks, but still eating. When should I start to be concerned about him not eating?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be the heat-- do you have his temps that are good in the tank? His UVB is not expired- after all that is checked and you don't think it's parasites it's him-- weigh him now and keep track of his weight- if he's losing then a vet check would be recommended-
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pgnfvzz said:
Could be the heat-- do you have his temps that are good in the tank? His UVB is not expired- after all that is checked and you don't think it's parasites it's him-- weigh him now and keep track of his weight- if he's losing then a vet check would be recommended-
Karrie

Thanks, Karrie - his UV bulb was put in this past March, so it’s still good, and we’ve got the temps to a good, steady 95-100 in his basking spot and 80-85 ambient on the cool side. I’ll check his weight tonight and start tracking it. I don’t think he’s got parasites, but a fecal check might be good to do - his stools are runnier than I’d like. Urates look fine, though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If he's eating alot of horn worms or watery veggies like gr peppers squash cucumber anything that contains a lot of water will make them runnier than normal- blaze pooped today and he had a big pool of water that was clear- I have been feeding him horn worms and greens rinsed yesterday he ate quite a bit of his greens so I am thinking he is really hydrated
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Figment has been eating a good bit of squash - it’s his favorite- so that could be it, though the liquid he excretes is more like liquid feces, not clear liquid.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is probably the squash - lay off if it for a few days and see it the form changes and it firms up if it does you know it's the squash and if not then maybe parasites- but I am thinking not w/ the good temps and UVB along w/ no crickets in the diet - but you never know
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Has he ever done it before? Just asking because I know you & I both just introduced superworms, and I've read about them getting a taste for them and then being stinkers. ;)

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":18vh9q4b said:
Has he ever done it before? Just asking because I know you & I both just introduced superworms, and I've read about them getting a taste for them and then being stinkers. ;)

That could be part of it, too! I haven't been giving him many supers, but I won't rule out the possibilities!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Figment ate nothing at all Friday and Saturday when I removed squash from his feed. He also ate no bugs. Today, I put a little bit of squash on his kale and he ate it, plus a mouthful or two of kale and one dubia roach. I’m on my way out to buy a new scale, as ours is no longer working. I hate to say it, but I’m starting to freak out a little... :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Start tracking his weight- if he's losing then get him in- it may be the heat-- how far away is figments UVB?
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay... he’s eating a bit. 6 dubias and a dish of kale, though he waited for it to go dry and crunchy before he ate most of it. Couldn’t get a weight; he keeps fidgeting on the scale, despite being in a plastic shoebox. Irritating dragon! I’ll try again today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try a dinner plate or a cereal bowl -how far away is the basking decor for the UVB?
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":295tuv4l said:
Try a dinner plate or a cereal bowl -how far away is the basking decor for the UVB?
Karrie

I just got a new stone-type dish... UV is 8 inches above basking area.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so UVB is good-- he is eating so that is good-- I am thinking he's fine it may be the heat-- is he shedding or going into shed? Blaze isn't eating alot either but currently he's shedding his tail and sides of his stomach
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1udddevd said:
Ok so UVB is good-- he is eating so that is good-- I am thinking he's fine it may be the heat-- is he shedding or going into shed? Blaze isn't eating alot either but currently he's shedding his tail and sides of his stomach

Not shedding right now, but I’m thinking he’s due for one... he shed an arm two weeks ago, then nothing! I’ll try getting the ambient heat down a bit. I think the basking spot is just fine - 95-100, depending on time of day.

I didn’t know UV affected their eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom