Stool & pooping issues. Do I need a vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Generally they will not answer any questions over the phone, they will want you to bring him in. A poo sample will be the thing to bring in to rule out parasites which at times can cause bloody stools. Hopefully this is just a fluke and whether he has parasites or not he will be fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Experience w/ bearded dragons?
Cost for check up and fecal ?
Also you want a copy of the office visit and xrays if done and name of the meds if given
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you aren't able to get him to a vet, you can try to do some natural remedies for him, in case
he has a heavy load of worms & parasites. Try getting some parsley, cilantro, mint, basil &
oregano & then blend it up into a liquid to a paste. Then give that to him daily to help naturally
eradicate parasites. It may help a little, or at least lower any levels.
I hope yo are able to find a vet though, in case there is something serious going on.

Tracie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
Drache613":1ii2i01i said:
Hello,

If you aren't able to get him to a vet, you can try to do some natural remedies for him, in case
he has a heavy load of worms & parasites. Try getting some parsley, cilantro, mint, basil &
oregano & then blend it up into a liquid to a paste. Then give that to him daily to help naturally
eradicate parasites. It may help a little, or at least lower any levels.
I hope yo are able to find a vet though, in case there is something serious going on.

Tracie

Will I need to give that to him in a syringe? Does it work for any parasite species and will it harm him if he turns out not to have any?
Also, I do not own a blender, so would there be any way I could make the paste without one? Thanks for the reply!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have a food processor? If not you can try seeing if he will eat this stuff in his salads --- it is all good stuff they can eat and it would help w/ the parasite issue if that is indeed what is going on- you can call your vet ask if you can drop off a fecal sample and have them test it w/ out actually going in -- fecals where I go for my vet are around $30 --
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":39y848ob said:
Do you have a food processor? If not you can try seeing if he will eat this stuff in his salads --- it is all good stuff they can eat and it would help w/ the parasite issue if that is indeed what is going on- you can call your vet ask if you can drop off a fecal sample and have them test it w/ out actually going in -- fecals where I go for my vet are around $30 --
Karrie

I asked some of my family members and one of them said that they have a blender that I can use. There is a place nearby that has in-house fecal testing machines but I’m not sure if they would also charge me office visit fees. I am also struggling to find a vet that does exotics nearby. They all have very big issues that I’ve seen on Google reviews. One has literal horror stories about how their reptiles were treated, and another had a staff member even admit “I don’t really know much about reptiles”. I will try to use this herb paste when I can and change up his staple insects a little bit so that he has something to hunt.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Call the in house fecal place find out what they charge-- then while you have them on the phone ask if they have any recommendations for a reptile vet and if they have experience w/ dragons--- don't go to someone who has horrible reviews- if you can get away w/ out having to take him in and find out he does have parasites- get a copy of that report then maybe Tracie can help you w/ meds
Karrie
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ndbhdwc said:
Call the in house fecal place find out what they charge-- then while you have them on the phone ask if they have any recommendations for a reptile vet and if they have experience w/ dragons--- don't go to someone who has horrible reviews- if you can get away w/ out having to take him in and find out he does have parasites- get a copy of that report then maybe Tracie can help you w/ meds
Karrie
Karrie

I’ll give ‘em a call tomorrow. Those places I was talking about have around 4.2-4.8 stars. The majority of the reviews are for dogs and cats though. If it was just reviews about reptiles I’d guess that they have about 3.2-3.8. Quick question; would you consider constant naps (only one eye closed) and not moving without me moving him lethargic?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is normal for them to bask w/ one eye closed and not move around alot- lethargic is sleeping alot not eating lifeless behavior
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qhb5or5 said:
It is normal for them to bask w/ one eye closed and not move around alot- lethargic is sleeping alot not eating lifeless behavior
Karrie

Oh so since he will move if I take him out his tank or move him he isn’t lethargic? Great!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lethargic is when they're not eating not basking won't move- eyes are closed -
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2r9qia7q said:
Lethargic is when they're not eating not basking won't move- eyes are closed -
Karrie

So just off of the fact that he doesn’t move without me moving him and doesn’t have a chance of eating without being moved and sleeps with one eye most of the day do you think he is classed as a lazy or lethargic dragon?

Update: I found a way to be able to take him to the vets. Will be taking him possibly after his next poop. Fecal sample results will take longer though because this place doesn’t have in-house testing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? Were you able to get some food into him I hope?
It is normal for them to be lazy sometimes, especially when they get out of their tanks.
They will often just lay around or find a place to take a nap if they can!

Keep us posted on him & let us know how the vet visit goes!

Tracie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
Drache613":3911l3d0 said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? Were you able to get some food into him I hope?

Tracie

Hi Tracie. I’ve just woke him up about 5 minutes ago. He didn’t eat yesterday but today he’s got some quite bad stress marks which usually don’t appear - but he might just be in a mood.

Drache613":3911l3d0 said:
It is normal for them to be lazy sometimes, especially when they get out of their tanks.
They will often just lay around or find a place to take a nap if they can!

Tracie

As for that, he actually does the opposite. I have to take him out of his tank or at least move him away from his hammock for him to move. He doesn’t even seem to move if he’s hungry.

If he has blood in his next stool, I’ll be taking him to the vets. He hasn’t had a (bowel) movement in I’d say about a week, so I’m going to give him a warm bath later.

Also, can those herbs you mentioned can be bought in places like Walmart, Target, etc...?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Herbs can be bought at Walmart in the produce organic shelf
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom