Glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
A lot of times my beardie will glass surf and I'm not sure why. I try to handle him enough and his temps/setup seems to be right, but he spends quite some time glass surfing throughout the day. The strange part is that while doing so he's completely stress-mark free. Today was the first time he also blackened his beard while doing so, but other then that he didn't show any signs of anger or stress. Also if I'm ever at my desk (right near him) he will follow my hand as if thinking it is or it has food. I tend to hand feed him sometimes, but that got me thinking that maybe he's hungry? His belly is nice and plump, not overweight though.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His basking temps are around 105-107 degress for the basking surface, which is a beardie hammock. His uvb is close to there , around 6 inches from the basking surface and he has a separate piece of driftwood if he wants uvb only.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hammocks often throw off basking temps and a infrared heat gun is not accurate on a hammock - it is best to get a temp off a solid piece of decor --- the UVB is a T 8 or a T 5? Distance plays a role of the bulb that is why I am asking
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The bulb is a T8 and the hammick isn't one one of the woven ones with big holes, its knit out of plastic fibers and has tiny holes. which are almost un-noticable.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the 6" is good for the UVB --- I would get a digital probe and place on the hammock and get a temp that way if you have a probe -- it sounds like he is just being energetic-- do you take him out for a while and then when you put him back in the tank what does he do? Does he calm down or does it go right back to surfing again
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do use a probe on the hammock and. when I put him back he just sits in one spot for a few minutes without moving much (he does the same thing after feeding). About an hour to a few hours passes before he starts sitting right at the glass again, or surfing it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so it sounds like hes bored and is training you to get him out--- Hiccup does the same thing and hes in a 120 gallon tank - he likes to go to the LR and look out my big front LR window on the back of a big chair I have - he will sit there for an hr or longer then climb down on the seat of the chair behind a throw pillow and take a nap
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well that is good -- hes getting energy out and exercise --- find a window for him to look out just dont set him in a window sill -- he can fall and get hurt - we had some one have their dragon hit the heat baseboard and that did not turn out so well
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea my bed is right next to a big window, I'm gonna set up some pillows to block out the gao in between. Thank you, I guess I just need to release him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom