Bearded Dragon Won't Eat Much

Status
Not open for further replies.
My adult male, 3 1/2 years old bearded dragon, Lizzie, won't eat a lot and is a bit underweight. He won't eat salad or pellets at all, or fruit or Repashy, and he only eats superworms and crickets sometimes (maybe once every couple days). Before, he used to eat everything. Help! He is really getting skinny.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Something else is going on here --- what are you using for UVB and how old is the UVB? Brand and bulb and where in the tank is it ? top of screen or inside the tank ? is it a coil or tube UVB ? Basking temps what are they? How are you taking them? Is he hydrated they wont eat if they are dehydrated? Please take a pic and post of him https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --- when was the last time he ate? Is he pooping? If he is does his poop smell so bad you want to leave the room? If so its possible parasites --
Karrie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
No, he's been with his 'wife' Jax for his whole entire life. I don't think that's the problem. Also, when I separated them, I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but he went crazy and bit me, ran away, and hissed until he was back living with Jax. He is getting a bit better (if I but a superworm in his mouth, he will eat it). However, why isn't he eating healthily? No vegetables for him will be eaten.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to separate them -- dragons should never be housed together - one is dominant over the other one and will take all the basking time and area and food as well ---- this could be why hes not eating ---- is he losing weight? Is he getting any basking time in? Most on here are going to recommend you get them separated --- if he is actually sick he can pass it on to the other one
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
My guess is that basically she may be sending off 'I'm the queen of this tank' vibes, so he is letting her have the "good" stuff (food, uvb, etc).
However, it sounds like a vet check may be warranted if you don't think that's what it is.

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
They've been housed together for almost 4 years, though, and never has there been a problem. He ate a couple of superworms when offered, today, but vegetables are still a no-no. Actually, the girl, Jax, is pregnant. Could he be giving her all the food because he somehow knows she is with babes? It hasn't happened before, but...

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
IWhen I did separate them, he was very angry and hissed, bit, and ran away. I don't think doing that would help very much; I tried it before. They sit on the large basking spot together with no problem, and he gets UVB actually more because, for some reason, the girl lets Lizzie have the UVB side most times. He was losing weight, but is gaining some, and his tail base bones are getting way less visible (you could vaguely see them before).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom