Refuses to eat live crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
I just put about 5 crickets in Cersei's tank and she's sitting there like a log watching them crawl around and over her. She's been on a mostly worm as her protein diet for a while because they're cheap and easy to keep (and I'm broke and busy), but I know they're not the best for staples and she's got a bit of extra weight on her so I wanted to give her something better for a change. Is she not interested because crickets are tough to catch in comparison to worms? Have I spoiled her too much from months of tong and bowl feeding that she doesn't want to hunt? Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips on getting her to eat the crickets?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is she? Is she eating salads? Take and get some dubia roaches for her and add them to her salads- what kind of worms are you feeding? Lay off of them get the roaches and add to her salads- you will need a glass bowl or ceramic --- she may be tired of crickets -- or spoiled w/ the worms - if you need websites for roaches let me know I will post them also certain worms should only be fed as a treat or a lure to the salad bowl- you can get silk worms they are a good staple feeder - if she is a year or older her main diet should be greens now - here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ey5wy4j said:
How old is she? Is she eating salads? Take and get some dubia roaches for her and add them to her salads- what kind of worms are you feeding? Lay off of them get the roaches and add to her salads- you will need a glass bowl or ceramic --- she may be tired of crickets -- or spoiled w/ the worms - if you need websites for roaches let me know I will post them also certain worms should only be fed as a treat or a lure to the salad bowl- you can get silk worms they are a good staple feeder - if she is a year or older her main diet should be greens now - here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie
She is just about a year. I give her 6 or 7 giant mealworms every morning then put some fresh greens in her bowl, sometimes with squash, and that's her food for the rest of the day. The problem with dubias is they're not cheap to keep buying constantly and I'm in a situation right now where I cant breed. Believe me, I've looked into it and am definitely going to when my boyfriend and I buy a house. She hasn't had crickets in a while so I thought maybe she'd be interested in something different for a change. No tips on how to get her to eat the ones I put in her tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Since shes about a year other worms would be good --- no tips on getting her to eat the crickets sounds like shes tired of them - that is why we always recommend giving variety -- but you said the magic word meal worms- once they are accustomed to getting those its hard to get them off of them -- I would get some super worms and silk worms use them as lures to the salad bowl and start there - if she can eat salads a good staple feeder like roaches silk worms and you can try some BSFL as well w/ 1-3 supers some horn worms and butter worms when those are back in stock she would have a good healthy diet going -- feed her the salad first thing in the morning along w/ 1-3 supers maybe 1 horn worm and some BSFL on top to get her to the bowl - once up to a year if they are not eating salads by then its hard to get them to eat them -- I always push new owners w/ babies to get them on salads now --- we see more people on here w/ dragons not eating salads just worms -- I have one that wont eat salads either even tho hes offered salads every day and then I have one that I did differently and he now eats salads ---- the thing w/ crickets they dont last and die off -- roaches will keep for a long time --- I have some roaches that have been in the tank for almost a year if not longer - Hiccup only eats them once in awhile now - between the silk worms and the roaches Blaze is always up for roaches but I also feed him silk worms - along w/ other worms for variety -- he got burned out on the BSFL so I have not fed those for awhile -- those are mainly for babies and a good supplement to the staple feeder - as far as getting her to eat the crickets I really dont know unless you disable them and put them in the salad bowl so she eats them there --
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Take off the hind legs, will slow them down enough to be easy to catch.

Maybe handfeed them to her.

I've found my skinks and dragons regularly go off a particular species of staple feeder from time to time, I then hand feed the species insect them if I have nothing else suitable, or swap to another species if I have a few species of feeders on hand ( my usual situation ) for while , then after a while I reintroduce the shunned feeders and they become a novelty or a new fav again.

For instance Cleo loved BSFL for months, now she spits them out , infact she does the same to mealworms and superworms too, offer a nice juicy cricket and it's gone in an instant.
So I slip the occasional BSFL in-between her crickets to keep the Ca intake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom