Eye Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
so for the past few months my beardie’s been off and on active. she has days where she’s super energetic and days where she sleeps for super long periods of time. during those days she doesn’t eat or drink, or even get up to bask in her basking area. she also has super bad eye problems. the vet around where i live isn’t taking patients right now so i came here instead. she is 3 years old, her diet consists of 75-80% veggies and 20-25% crickets/hornworms. her eyes seem to be covered by her 3rd eyelid all day, and when she goes to sleep they seal and get this nasty goop in them. i’ve tried those zoo med turtle eye drops but they didn’t do her any justice.
108739-8302451260.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell us what your using for a UVB -- brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps and how your taking them --- NO stick ons --- they are inaccurate-- what substrate do you have her on? NO sand or loose substrate --- get some regular saline solution nothing for contacts and wash her eye out --- you can use a Q tip or cotton ball --- then take some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka honey works good --- mix it w/ a little warm water for some consistency and use Q tip or cotton ball and apply to the eye --- its a good bacterial killer for infections --- DO NOT leave crickets in the tank if your feeding them they will go straight to the eye - so make sure you check that tank and under decor inside decor before shutting lights off --- if you haft to take decor out if you think there might be some in it ---
Karrie

piperlwest04

Original Poster
KarrieRee":hq35vqzt said:
Please tell us what your using for a UVB -- brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps and how your taking them --- NO stick ons --- they are inaccurate-- what substrate do you have her on? NO sand or loose substrate --- get some regular saline solution nothing for contacts and wash her eye out --- you can use a Q tip or cotton ball --- then take some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka honey works good --- mix it w/ a little warm water for some consistency and use Q tip or cotton ball and apply to the eye --- its a good bacterial killer for infections --- DO NOT leave crickets in the tank if your feeding them they will go straight to the eye - so make sure you check that tank and under decor inside decor before shutting lights off --- if you haft to take decor out if you think there might be some in it ---
Karrie

Hey thanks for the response. I’m using a reptisun 10.0 for her uvb. She has a 55 gal. tank and the uvb light is mounted in the middle. Her basking temps range from 98-102° and I’m using a infrared temp gun to measure the temps. I’ve never let the crickets loose in her tank, I feed them to her using tongs. She’s on reptile carpet, has never been on anything else. I’ll definitely be purchasing that honey you mentioned. Thank you :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a coil or tube? What is the tube if it's a tube? T 5 or T 8?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok and the T 8 is inside the tank directly above him w/ NO cover over the bulb 6-8 inches away? Coils can cause eye issues that is why I was asking -- trying to rule lighting out for possible cause of eye -- what about the basking bulb ? Is it a bright white bulb? NO colored no yellowish bulb?
Karrie

piperlwest04

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ni2vgv1 said:
Ok and the T 8 is inside the tank directly above him w/ NO cover over the bulb 6-8 inches away? Coils can cause eye issues that is why I was asking -- trying to rule lighting out for possible cause of eye -- what about the basking bulb ? Is it a bright white bulb? NO colored no yellowish bulb?
Karrie

Yes, no cover on the T8. I was just informed that the Exo Terra Infrared bulb is not suitable for a proper tank setup so I will be buying the 100w Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you will need a nice bright white light for basking, to use along with the Reptisun 10 T8
tube bulb. Be sure it is 6-8 inches from your girl, alongside of the new basking light.
The red basking lamp is not bright enough & is likely the culprit of the eye issues. Have you
tried getting some sterile saline solution to wash out the eye?
How is her appetite right now?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom