Bearded dragon Ill or just old age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahiro

Hi there. I have a bearded dragon, I've had him since I was ten years old, and i got him as a baby. In august, it will be 9 years since he's been around and since I've adopted him. I think his age is important to note.

Anyways, onto the problems. He sleeps, practically 24/7. He doesn't move much and he seems to struggle to keep his eyes open. When he does move, he drags himself, and it's extremely distressing to watch. He can no longer eat or drink by himself. Hes so, so skinny. His fat pads are non-existent and extremely sunk in. He shakes a little bit. I was also told he may have gout, a little while back before he started to go downhill.
He was himself just a year ago, fat and happy. Not moving much, but able to move enough to get around, and eat and drink by himself. He was even climbing. Then, one day, he fell off the couch. He landed on his side. Ever since then he seems to have just gotten slower and worse until the symptoms i described above.
My question is, is this reversible? Can I bring him back to being himself? Or is it too late... or is it just old age? I have been crying every night the past month because I keep thinking about him, I feel like it's my fault. I feel like him falling of the couch caused it, and if I would have watched him better I could have prevented this from happening. Other people have told me it's just old age. I don't know.

For care, I have the proper UV, tank temps, and a heat lamp for night time. The admins at bearded dragon inc have helped me a lot. But i was too scared to post this on their facebook group. I apologize that this is all over the place, I'm just so upset that my little bud is feeling so awful. It's hard to see an animal (especially since he's my first pet) i've had for nearly half of my lifetime going downhill. I love him so much and I just want to do what's best...

EDIT: I FORGOT SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT!! he has a pea sized lump on his side near his leg, and there's a large mass in his stomach. the vet didn't want to do any xrays because he feared it would be too hard on him. could this also be a cause?

image to show lump, then image to show how skinny he has gotten
108010-515374337.jpg
108010-3823671444.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is the UVB and what do you mean by proper lighting and basking temps-- please tell me what they are brand and bulb of UVB where in the tank is it and what are the basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick ons--- yes to the last question -- we need pics please ---
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of message box then click on the pic it should post ---
Karrie

sahiro

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1elosgtc said:
How old is the UVB and what do you mean by proper lighting and basking temps-- please tell me what they are brand and bulb of UVB where in the tank is it and what are the basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick ons---
Karrie

the ubv is only around 4 months old, this one: https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/?fbclid=IwAR1S4Wd37JJMyF7eKR8uyC2Ukxt60pz0oVeKixQ_leeJYgPbMIqdQg11QwU . hot side is 102, cool side is 83. i have one of those temp guns to check the temperature. the ubv hood is on top of the screen.

sahiro

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pv1uppm said:
How old is the UVB and what do you mean by proper lighting and basking temps-- please tell me what they are brand and bulb of UVB where in the tank is it and what are the basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick ons--- yes to the last question -- we need pics please ---
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of message box then click on the pic it should post ---
Karrie
ok i got the images posted

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so excellent UVB and its on top of the screen so his basking decor should sit directly underneath 8-10 inches --- ok so is he hyrdated? I am sorry but you should of taken him into the vet after the fall -- I am going to flag your post to the vet moderator on here and she can advise what to do w/ him -- I would be getting some food into him --- make a slurry of greens like collard turnips kale a little squash w/ some water and little fruit strawberry something sweet --- see if he will lick it off the spoon if not get a syringe and snip the end off so it comes out and doesnt plug --- feed slowly go in from the side of the mouth you may haft to have someone help you if he does not take it on his own --- feed 1ML 3 times per day ---- you dont want him aspirating so go slow --- I say 1 ML because I dont know when the last time he ate and you dont want to overwhelm him w/ food --- I am guessing at this but you probably should take him in for a X ray and have the lump looked at --- but we need Tracie to advise on what you can do for now but I am guessing shes gonna say vet time - here is a website for you to find a reptile vet http://www.arav.org
Also give him some water off of a dropper onto his nose see if he will drink
Karrie

sahiro

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3sw5wwo4 said:
Ok so excellent UVB and its on top of the screen so his basking decor should sit directly underneath 8-10 inches --- ok so is he hyrdated? I am sorry but you should of taken him into the vet after the fall -- I am going to flag your post to the vet moderator on here and she can advise what to do w/ him -- I would be getting some food into him --- make a slurry of greens like collard turnips kale a little squash w/ some water and little fruit strawberry something sweet --- see if he will lick it off the spoon if not get a syringe and snip the end off so it comes out and doesnt plug --- feed slowly go in from the side of the mouth you may haft to have someone help you if he does not take it on his own --- feed 1ML 3 times per day ---- you dont want him aspirating so go slow --- I say 1 ML because I dont know when the last time he ate and you dont want to overwhelm him w/ food --- I am guessing at this but you probably should take him in for a X ray and have the lump looked at --- but we need Tracie to advise on what you can do for now but I am guessing shes gonna say vet time - here is a website for you to find a reptile vet http://www.arav.org
Also give him some water off of a dropper onto his nose see if he will drink
Karrie

okay i will try that. thank you. i have just given him water today. he fell a year ago and i did take him to the vet but they would not do x-ray. i hope they will now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry he isn't doing well, as his age is likely some of what is going on. I'm not sure
the fall alone is enough to have caused these issues, but they might have sparked an injury
possibly. Quite often, they have an underlying health issue but they will hide their illness until
they become critical.
An x-ray would be helpful to see exactly where the lump is. How long has he had the lump?
I am surprised that the vet didn't tale any x-rays though, initially. Gout is relatively common in
older dragons so that could be some of the problems right now, also. I would try to get more
oral fluids into him if possible, slowly, but that can help with his kidneys. You could get some
black or tart cherry juice extract to help with renal function also.

Tracie

sahiro

Original Poster
Drache613":17wdokhq said:
Hello,

I am so sorry he isn't doing well, as his age is likely some of what is going on. I'm not sure
the fall alone is enough to have caused these issues, but they might have sparked an injury
possibly. Quite often, they have an underlying health issue but they will hide their illness until
they become critical.
An x-ray would be helpful to see exactly where the lump is. How long has he had the lump?
I am surprised that the vet didn't tale any x-rays though, initially. Gout is relatively common in
older dragons so that could be some of the problems right now, also. I would try to get more
oral fluids into him if possible, slowly, but that can help with his kidneys. You could get some
black or tart cherry juice extract to help with renal function also.

Tracie

i thought it may be his age too. I'm just so upset because i thought he'd be happy and healthy until at least 12. from when i noticed he has had the one inside since around march last year, and the one near his leg since Nov 2018, but it keeps getting larger. where can i find the cherry juice? i may call that vet and just ask him to do the x ray if he's still open. he is the only reptile vet in my state as far as i know

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your local grocery store should have cherry juice-- here is a website to find a vet
www.arav.org I know you said you only had one in your state? See if this website will find another one -
Karrie

sahiro

Original Poster
KarrieRee":yf4d10jr said:
Your local grocery store should have cherry juice-- here is a website to find a vet
http://www.arav.org I know you said you only had one in your state? See if this website will find another one -
Karrie
is any cherry juice fine?
and yes, i found him through that website before

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing this evening?
You can get either black cherry or tart cherry, to help out his kidneys. Try to get one without
any added sugar.

Tracie

sahiro

Original Poster
Drache613":2flwfpjt said:
Hello,

How is he doing this evening?
You can get either black cherry or tart cherry, to help out his kidneys. Try to get one without
any added sugar.

Tracie
Hi, and apologies for the late reply... I took him to the vet and they said to put him down due to the mass in his stomach. I waited a week to do it so that I could spend time with him. He started to decline rapidly and became unable to open his eyes for more than 20 seconds or move. He was no longer himself.

Hardest decision of my life. I wish I could go back in time and make things better, so it wouldn't of had to end this way. I have been sobbing non stop... I've lost my light, my son, my everything. I feel so empty. But it was cruel to keep him around when he was in such a state, so I don't/try not to regret it. But I am so hurt regardless. Coming home to the empty tank has been terrible. :cry:

Thanks for the help, it was really appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry ☹️-- that seems to be the case w/ everyone about the empty tank--- I too know that heartache-- it will take time-- but you did what was best for him - again I am sorry
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom