How does this sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 story, basking area on the top, play pen on the bottom.
Basking area: 42Wx28Lx14H
Play pen: 42Wx84Lx14H

I'll post pics when im done putting it together. Parts get here in 3 weeks. I can adjust the proportions if i need to.

Will the basking area need a second heat lamp due to the size? Ive never had a enclosure this big. I'm going to try to set it up as far from my window AC unit as possible, the only outlet is under the unit, i think the cord will reach to another corner though. Is the enclosure dimentions decent? Is the basking area too small? Is the playpen not wide enough? What kind of things can i put in the enclosure for a happy beardie ( other than lights and food of course )?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That amount of space sounds luxurious! Since you have so much room to play with you can set up multiple basking areas that offer different temps and UVB levels so there are plenty of choices. They are really good at moving around to get what they need at any given time given options. I would probably create an area (at least as long as your dragon to allow even basking) that has high UVB and high temps, a low UVB and low temp area, and a high temp and low UVB area. By creating multiple zones across the different parts of the enclosure it will take advantage of that room and maximize options for basking. This is similar to what I offer my free ranging dragon when he's roaming the house.

For some more ideas I would check out Taterbug's setup. She has a large enclosure and describes how to create different basking zones here https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

MangosMom1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3ahq3xpv said:
That amount of space sounds luxurious! Since you have so much room to play with you can set up multiple basking areas that offer different temps and UVB levels so there are plenty of choices. They are really good at moving around to get what they need at any given time given options. I would probably create an area (at least as long as your dragon to allow even basking) that has high UVB and high temps, a low UVB and low temp area, and a high temp and low UVB area. By creating multiple zones across the different parts of the enclosure it will take advantage of that room and maximize options for basking. This is similar to what I offer my free ranging dragon when he's roaming the house.

For some more ideas I would check out Taterbug's setup. She has a large enclosure and describes how to create different basking zones here https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

Oh good, i was worried that amount of space wouldnt be spoiling him enough haha. I have 2 extra reptile lamps, multiple basking lights, and 1 extra uvb i can set up for him if i need to. Can regular lamps be used a well? I believe I have a whole box of those but not sure if they would work. His basking lights are high watt house bulbs. I'd love to give my beardie my whole room, the whole house even, but i wouldn't want him chewing on cords, hiding behind and under things, and also my cat eating him, so i hope he'll be happy with just this.

MangosMom1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":4uebuj36 said:

Can they tell what space has uvb? Im worried with the low uvb, high heat, he will bask there for the heat and not get enough uvb just because he is too lazy or doesnt know to go to the other light enough. I can understand he can seek out heat or move away, but how can he tell where to get uvb?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can put screw sockets in the enclosure ceiling and just screw the bulbs in that way. Some bulbs like BR and PAR styles have reflectors built in so a dome isn't necessary.

They can definitely sense UVB and react accordingly. A lot of the time my dragon seems to prefer basking under a plain halogen bulb with around 100-105f and no UVB. Then he'll move over to another bulb that is producing about 3-4UVI and get some UVB later on.

MangosMom1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":20lsfxcj said:
You can put screw sockets in the enclosure ceiling and just screw the bulbs in that way. Some bulbs like BR and PAR styles have reflectors built in so a dome isn't necessary.

They can definitely sense UVB and react accordingly. A lot of the time my dragon seems to prefer basking under a plain halogen bulb with around 100-105f and no UVB. Then he'll move over to another bulb that is producing about 3-4UVI and get some UVB later on.

Can they have too much uv? What makes him rather have just heat?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB light can be too intense and they will avoid it. Best to stick between about 3-6 UVI at the most. There are distance estimates for different lights based on their UVI readings. I think that in the wild they bask only during part of the day. Likely during the morning and late evening. They will sometimes seek shade or burrow and that will provide them heat and less UVB exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom