Need help with sick beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":ts2x4rnp said:
Pain and distress is usual reason for black bearding-- what about his basking temps ? Is he basking like normal? You might want to post a pic of him w/ the black beard and we can have AHBD take a look and Tracie and see if they can throw in light on the issue
Karrie

He is indeed basking, he wasn't before his vet visit. His basking temps are about 40-42°C at the hottest parts. Here's his black beard. It isn't always quite this dark
105948-6959579829.jpg
105948-6200894704.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I really dont know why hes black bearding temps are good - it isnt too dark so hes not completely stressed out - warmer over nite would be like 80 F -- his tank should not be dropping below 65 F at nite -- and thats for a dragon that is not ill -- we usually tell people if they have a ill dragon to keep tanks warmer like 80 F during the nite by using a heat emitter is the best or placing a heating pad in the tank on low wrapped in a towel etc to try and warm the tank -
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":4wlkykpz said:
I really dont know why hes black bearding temps are good - it isnt too dark so hes not completely stressed out - warmer over nite would be like 80 F -- his tank should not be dropping below 65 F at nite -- and thats for a dragon that is not ill -- we usually tell people if they have a ill dragon to keep tanks warmer like 80 F during the nite by using a heat emitter is the best or placing a heating pad in the tank on low wrapped in a towel etc to try and warm the tank -
Karrie

*I put the wrong second picture in my reply up there lol, here's another pic of his beard
105948-6006300431.jpg

80 degrees , ok thank you! I can use a CHE for that :).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am wondering if he has a upset stomach and that is the reason for the black bearding- caused by the meds -- your temps and UVB are good so that is not a issue-- I would contact the vet tell them you want him on a different med and get some CC from them - the herbivore or the carnivore -- NO more dog food :bleick:
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2v3pknwx said:
I am wondering if he has a upset stomach and that is the reason for the black bearding- caused by the meds -- your temps and UVB are good so that is not a issue-- I would contact the vet tell them you want him on a different med and get some CC from them - the herbivore or the carnivore -- NO more dog food :bleick:
Karrie

It could be that yeah. Maybe taking him out makes him distracted from his upset stomach?
When I look up critical care, I see the carnivore, herbivore, omnivore ones. Then there's a vetark powder? What's the difference?
Also, is there any way I could get it without going back to the vets? It's quite far

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Never heard of the vetark- you can order the critical care online from Amazon - I googled it critical care omnivore and it came up I would get the herbivore and still feed the crickets or roaches - you can blend them together to make a slushy type- you will need to snip the tip of the syringe off so it doesn't plug- it up- water it down too- the stuff is thick
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":poweasva said:
Never heard of the vetark- you can order the critical care online from Amazon - I googled it critical care omnivore and it came up I would get the herbivore and still feed the crickets or roaches - you can blend them together to make a slushy type- you will need to snip the tip of the syringe off so it doesn't plug- it up- water it down too- the stuff is thick
Karrie

Thank you! Its the oxbow one I assume? If I can't get some of that particular critical care, would reptoboost be any good? I
My guy will not eat anything at all now unless force fed. Hopefully he'll start once the meds are done, but I'm not counting on it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ahbd or Tracie would haft to advise on the reptoboost but I would shoot for the oxbow cc
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":12h2781q said:
Ahbd or Tracie would haft to advise on the reptoboost but I would shoot for the oxbow cc
Karrie

Thanks, I'll try my best to get it but I'm not sure if I can ?. Would soya probiotic yogurt help him once his antibiotics are done?
He also had a very black beard for a good while today. The pictures don't properly show how dark it is
105948-4441453875.jpg
105948-2178047402.jpg

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":32zjvsuo said:
He is definitely in distress w/ that black of a beard- Check Tracie s website for probiotics
http://www.bug-de-lite.com
Karrie

He hasn't pooped in a few days now either, but I assume that's because he's only eaten about 1ml or less of food every day? And oh I checked that out, it's very expensive to ship here and it'd take weeks. Any other options you know of?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can PM ahbd or Tracie and ask them what to get - you should be able to get some from your area-
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1k8gf37t said:
You can PM ahbd or Tracie and ask them what to get - you should be able to get some from your area-
Karrie

Thank you :). I got him some soy yogurt in the meantime, he does not enjoy it lol. He ate a small bit of bok choi the other day, maybe he's starting to feel a little better :)

If he hasn't gotten rid of the coccidia ask for toltrazuril next time. My boy just got over coccidia. I did 3 doses of toltrazuril 3 days in a row, then retest after a week.
Yes, he black bearded for a couple of days too, but was fine once he was off the meds. I also gave him probiotics. (I ended up having to use coconut yogurt because it was taking too long for the probiotics to come in and no stores had soy yogurt).
It's also very important to keep the enclosure very clean while dealing with coccidia. Don't leave any feeders in the terrarium, use paper towels and replace everything and do a thorough clean immediately after he poops. Keep all decorations to a minimum, and clean his basking rocks too.
I couldn't handle cleaning with ammonia, so I used a clothes steamer to clean his terrarium. And boiling water to clean his basking rocks.
I know this post was last week, so maybe you don't need the info anymore. But maybe it will help the next person :)

He didn't like the yogurt either, I dipped his bugs in it lol. And I injected the toltrazuril into his feeders so I wouldn't have to deal with fighting with him to take the meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom