weird beard pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldllines

so ozzy has been acting weird, he has a uri i think and ive had him on medication for it for almost a month but whenever i pick him up i can still feel his lungs making this weird clicking sound, which is what originally made me go to the vet. she said it was just a uri and prescribed me some medicine for him but i dont think its working. recently he has been twitching in his sleep a lot which is super weird and today i noticed his beard being weird, its white on his chin and black everywhere else. its not shedding skin, i was wondering if it means hes sick or if its just natural coloring?? plz help i really dont have the money to go to the vet again
108518-6372171561.jpg
108518-8536341074.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Looks like shed -- hes got the opaque looking color going --- what are you using for a UVB? the twitching tells me calcium deficiency -- sounds like you need another opinion for a vet if hes got a clicking noise going --- could be possible RI - does he have any mucous coming from his nose or mouth? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Karrie

goldllines

Original Poster
im pretty sure its not shed, it popped up out of nowhere and its not peeling off and doesnt feel shed like when i rub it. im using a 18" 15 watt thrive desert bulb for uvb, hes always right under it and he eats mealworms dusted with calcium every day, idk why he would have a calcium deficiency. and yeah the vet says he has a uri and ive had him on meds but no he doesnt have any mucus, he has a bit of saliva but i think its a normal amount for beardies. and all i have is a stick on thermometer thats right near where he basks and it always says 107°. i dont have the money for another thermometer i had to steal this one, i havent had a job for like 6 months lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok well the thrive UVB is not the best -- you need to change the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb $20 ---basking spot needs to be 6-8 inches from his decor piece w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb and INSIDE the tank --- if its on top of the screen the screen is blocking 30% of those rays -- they need to be changed out every 6 months - so if its over 6 months old its expired --- a digital probe thermometer is $ 7 from petco or petsmart --- you need the correct basking temp - the one your using is incorrect --- your getting a ambient temp ----- correct lighting and basking temps are going to prevent illness --- can you get a pic of the inside of his mouth -- I am not sure exactly how much saliva they have or what they should or should not have but our vet mod on here can look she is on at nite or another one of our experienced people AHBD can look and see what they think
I will flag your post
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that is definitely just shed, it's pretty common with sub adult and adult dragons. I have pics of mine with the same thing buried in my lap top somewhere. Hope your boy gets over his uri ASAP !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like shed to me, also.
Is he over his respiratory issue, or is he still showing signs of respiratory distress?
I agree, the Thrive bulb isn't real good. I would consider upgrading to the Reptisun 10
tube bulb, or the Arcadia D3 12%. They are both good & would provide a better UVB
exposure.
For now, also keep him a little warmer overnight, around 75-80 to help boost his immune
system while he isn't feeling well.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom