Superworm longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I thought superworms could be kept for quite a while?
First time having them...
I mixed some oats in with my superworms and tossed in some carrots. Several of them have died. I did get them from Chow Hound and not from online, so maybe they just weren't great to begin with?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could have been something wrong with them. I've kept supers for a really long time. Several months to over a year.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We haven't had especially good luck with insects we've had to get from pet stores, so that's probably the case. I think we ended up throwing out almost half the container.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They most likely were old or sickly to begin with.

I almost can't even kill supers if I try. When I had pneumonia last year, I didn't touch my worm colony for over a month. Maybe a month and a half. When I got better, I gave them a carrot and the majority of them were still alive. I'm sure the ones that died got eaten, but a large majority survived.

Try getting some from an online breeder and you should have better success.

-Brandon

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
??
I thought they were supposed to be pretty hardy, but wanted some reassurance.
We only got them to fill in a gap between bsfl shipments, so unless we have to do that again we'll get them online next time we want to feed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom