Sexing dragons with flashlight?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Lanin is a male. There are 2 bulges above the vent and you can see the outline in the flashlight picture. :) Now you have to pop in + say hello once in a while with more pics of your guy !

MSMorgan

Thank you for your reply. I'll put a post in the Newby forum. He's quite different from any other reptile we've had, but loved all the same for his individuality and quirkiness as our first BD.

MSMorgan

ArcticWolf3049":1tew0efc said:
I tried very hard but my phone flashlight I guess isn't strong enough or Kayda is too young lol, I'll try again in a few months

AW,
How old is your BD? Phone light is not ideal. You can get super bright LED lights from many distributors now days for very low prices. You might also want to get someone to assist you while getting your BD situated under the light. As you can see by my pics, it wasn't easy, :banghead: but I got it done.

Ruffus34

So, is it really a useless idea to check my BD if it is only 5 month? Or it is enough? When I purchased it, the breeder said me it is male. How did he know that for sure so early?

WinFam01

Juvie Member
5 months is pretty early, but you can look - then you'll know what you're seeing when the hemipenes start to show (provided it really is male). IDK how breeders do it, they just have lots of experience I guess. ??‍♀️

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Ardie is mad at me after I spent way too long being confused if my angle was wrong so I won't be re-attempting anytime soon.

Can hemipenes be spotted at 3 months or are they still too small? I swear when I check with my eyes, I see the two bulges (complete with the concave divot and hourglass shape), though they are too tiny for me to be sure, but when I try the flashlight, I see jack squat. The one time I visualized the "box", I can't tell if it's my imagination or if I see little "antennae" coming off or if it's normal for a beardie uterus to look like that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can sometimes be sexed after just a few weeks so if you see the bumps that is always more accurate than the flashlight method. The F.L. method does not always work with babies or smaller juveniles. Next time you try [ when Ardie lets you :) ] post a couple of pics .

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
AHBD":cmceww9r said:
They can sometimes be sexed after just a few weeks so if you see the bumps that is always more accurate than the flashlight method. The F.L. method does not always work with babies or smaller juveniles. Next time you try [ when Ardie lets you :) ] post a couple of pics .

OOOOOOOH, good to know! :eek:

I see everyone everywhere touting the flashlight method as the most accurate, but they also only seem to account for older beardies so I was confused what to believe. XDDDD

I'll post when I remember to bring my phone with me to handle Ardie. Or have someone help me take it while I hold him because he refuses to stand still when I try to do it with one hand, lol! :lol:

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Not the best angle or lighting, buy I made do with what I got and adjusted the contrast a bit so it's easier to see:

full

No flashlight pic yet (Ardie was annoyed enough already I was pulling up his tail for millionth time X'D) but are those tiny nubs off the pouch immature hemipenal bulges? Or can that happen with females too?

Sometimes the bulges are more distinct, but this time took a bit more effort.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
AHBD":9ph5q0iy said:
Looks like a female from that pic.

So little "horns" can be a thing that happens? This is confusing me because I can't find similar images. They're all either an evenly round oval or a U-shape, but I tend to see "cat ears" shapes over the bulge if I go full 90 degree.

He's only 3 1/2 months and 12 inches, so I'm confused.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
AHBD":1n958qw3 said:
It's tricky sometimes but check it with the pics in this article [ scroll right to the pics ]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

I guess a better question is: do both sexes have a singular bulge when they're very young (i.e. pre-pubescent) or are they definitely female if we can see just one bulge at baseline? Just about every photo I can find are of older juveniles or sub-adults/adults, but I did come across at least a couple males who seemed to have a base "pouch" under the hemipenes.

Sometimes I think I see little bulges on either side of the "pouch" but I guess they could also just be muscle, hence my question. :lol:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom