serious eye infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

janejones

My bearded dragon has had a bad eye infection for five months now. He's been to the vet twice where they flushed it out and told us to just keep it clean. His cage is clean, we don't use sand or anything similar, and his UV light is now on the side of the cage he doesnt go on much.

He gets crusty bits around his eye and a thick mucus that forms into bubbles covering his entire eye. Sometimes it gets so bad you can't see through it. I clean off the crusty bits by lightly holding a warm compress over his closed eye, and I gently flush it out with saline solution. It seems to improve periodically, but then worsens out of nowhere.

It only gets worse and worse and I'm not sure what else to do. The pictures attached are right after cleaning it out, but you can still see the damage. Occasionally now, it's been getting so bad he can hardly open or close his eye.

Please help! I would appreciate any recommendations for treatment or possible causes.
108720-2888033157.jpg
108720-2150472170.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Possible cause is the UVB------------ what are you using and where in the tank is it? If its a coil that would be the issue -
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, aside from having the right uvb you can use raw unpasteurized honey mixed with 5 parts water as an antimicrobial ointment. It worked well on my beardies eye infection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB are you using right now? It does look like he has developed metabolic bone
disease. I agree, his eye issue might be caused by his UVB being used. Can you post a
picture of his tank setup for us?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom