new baby beardie NOT basking...am I overfeeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarntg

So I’ve just had this little guy for 3 days. He’s during his first shed so I guess he’s around 2-4 weeks old. He‘s been on this hammock since day 1 and hasn’t come down. He only moved on the hammock for a while yesterday. I’m getting worried cause he’s not basking at all (or even moving much).

For feeding schedule, I was told by the breeder to give no food on the first day and only 1 hour lighting. On day 2, I feed him 3 times and he ate 14 crickets in total (8 for the first meal, 6 for the second, didn’t eat any for the last one). So on day 3 which is today, he’s still on the hammock so I asked the breeder why he didn’t bask at all. The breeder said 14 crickets a day is too much and I should fast him today. 5 crickets per day is appropriate or otherwise he might vomit.

From what I learnt online, beardies at this age can consume up to 10-30 crickets per day. So I’m really confused here... By the way my beardie was shipped to me and stayed less than 24 hrs in the box. I’m guessing he’s simply stressed so he doesn’t go anywhere in the enclosure. But idk if I should feed him or not today. It seems like that he didn’t get a lot to eat before at the breeder’s place so maybe I shouldn’t feed so much?

Temperature should be fine in his enclosure - 32-33°C (90°F) on the hot side and 28°C (82°F) on the cool side. Humidity is 50% which may be a bit high but I live in a very humidity area. There's no water bowl in his enclosure and I had dropped water on his head but I don't think he has tried to drink. Also I have not tried to handle or touch him at all since he arrived.

This is my first bearded dragon and I’m really worried that I could mess up cause he’s so tiny (only 13cm long). Any comments will be highly appreciated!! :blob5: :blob5:

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
What lights do you have? Also make sure these temps are recorded using a temperature gun or probe, the stick-on ones are very inaccurate.

Edit: Also if your hammock has little holes in it, you’ll want to get a fleece hammock or just see fleece over it so their claws don’t get stuck & cause a broken toe if they fall.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Temps for a baby need to be 105-110 basking -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- he needs a tube UVB w/a reflector----- NO coils! Next your breeder is not giving you good information - yes he will eat alot of crickets when hes over his relocation stress - its good he ate that many the next day - keep feeding him -- do not listen to the breeder anymore - his eating will slow down but he should not quit eating all together--- he should be basking now at least 4 hrs per day - lights should be on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs --- not basking at all is not good - your basking light should be a bright white light NO colored or off yellowish lights -- please post a pic of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

tarntg

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":1xdhl0u3 said:
What lights do you have? Also make sure these temps are recorded using a temperature gun or probe, the stick-on ones are very inaccurate.

Edit: Also if your hammock has little holes in it, you’ll want to get a fleece hammock or just see fleece over it so their claws don’t get stuck & cause a broken toe if they fall.

Hi thanks for the reply! I'm currently using Exo Terra intense basking spot 25w and Exo Terra reptile UVB 150 25w. I'm planning to switch to a 50w basking bulb to raise the basking temperature. And yes I used a temp gun.

tarntg

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ce83kxgu said:
Temps for a baby need to be 105-110 basking -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- he needs a tube UVB w/a reflector----- NO coils! Next your breeder is not giving you good information - yes he will eat alot of crickets when hes over his relocation stress - its good he ate that many the next day - keep feeding him -- do not listen to the breeder anymore - his eating will slow down but he should not quit eating all together--- he should be basking now at least 4 hrs per day - lights should be on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs --- not basking at all is not good - your basking light should be a bright white light NO colored or off yellowish lights -- please post a pic of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie
Thanks I'm planning to switch his basking bulb to a higher wattage now. My basking bulb has yellow lights and UVB is white :( Why yellow basking light is bad for them?
I'm using a coiled bulb at the moment cause he's only in a 25 gallon tank and I have measured before those tube UVBs cannot fit? I thought coiled ones aren't so bad nowadays after a few research, so are they still dangerous to use? If so what other type of UVB bulbs I can use for a small tank?
I took my bearded dragon out to spray him yesterday (he's in his shed) and when I put him back, he was quite active and went basking for a short while. However he soon went back to the hammock and won't come down afterwards...He seems to prefer the darker area more :shock:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The coil bulbs most are not good - one I have not heard of that not being bad is the Reptisun 26 watt but you need to have the distance very close for it to do any good -- you can get the long tube fixture now and still use it on the 25 gallon - I had a 20 gallon and used a T 8 then when I put Blaze in his 120 gallon went to the 24" fixture w/ a T 5--- you can still get a 24" fixture and use a 5.0 bulb which is a less stronger bulb then when you get your larger tank go to the 10.0 bulb -- but I would make the switch out now --- its gonna be better for him in the long run -- I have NO faith in those coil UVB's hear more bad about them than good --- you can take it and set the fixture width wise across the tank it does not haft to be length wise --- so long as he can get under it w/ out it being obstructed -- hes should be basking at least 4 hrs per day --- somethings up if hes hanging out in the darker area more or cool side of the tank - is your coil UVB by the basking bulb? If so try shutting it off and see what he does see if he goes to sit under his heat light -- if he does its that coil thats causing a issue -- coils tend to cause eye issues --- and you want a bright white basking bulb --- you want it to mimic the sun -- off colored bulbs dont do that
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom