Need advice re: raw unpasturized honey for his eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
These are pictures of the bearded dragon I rescued from the passing lane on Saturday morning. https://imgur.com/a/SQ8VVVf.

The raw unpasturized honey we have is kind of crystallized so I diluted it a little with distilled water until it was a little runnier than honey, Maybe 75% honey and 25% distilled water?

I wasn’t going to just put it on his injured eye without trying it on myself first and it stung in a really really really uncomfortable way and I’ve rubbed my eyes after cutting jalapenos and habaneros...the pain from this was deeper.

Do i need to dilute it more? Do i need to dilute it with something else?

Does anyone know of a decent reptile vet that will do a teleconsult for him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about crystalized honey- here is a website to find a reptile vet
www.arav.org
Tracie or ahbd would need to answer the question about that honey crystilizing
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy really clung to you when you got him off the road. :) Nice looking dragon and the good news is that nothing looks serious at all. The toe is healed, even if it was broken [ which is not uncommon ] they just heal on their own. The tail does not look bad, just keep an eye on it,, you could soak it in a diluted betadine/water solution and put raw honey on it. The eye looks O.K too, get some plain saline solution for him to gently rinse any lingering debris. Honey should be diluted down to at least 1 part honey to 3 parts water or more. If it's crystallized at all it can't be used in that state. But his eye does not look bad from those pics.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that dragon is very lucky you found him & I am shocked that he is doing so well
for what he has been through.
I agree, just watch the tail to be sure it doesn't start looking infected. Though it looks
like it will be perfectly fine because it is healing up well. A lot have toes missing, or an
issue with the tail tip, etc but are healthy.
The eye will hopefully get better so he can see out of it easier.
It is amazing that he survived!

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is the clearest picture I could get of his eye from this morning https://imgur.com/a/jx2GcQ3.

It is damaged, yes? And likely recently? About halfway down his pupil you can see a very faint greenish shadow that goes towards the bottom half of his eye.

When the light hits his eye right, it looks like there is a horizontal line on his eye like his cornea (do they have these?) has been sliced horizontally about mid-eye with something incredibly sharp.

Thank you AHBD and Tracie for your professional advice. I am so glad to hear that his tail and foot are not immediate concerns.

KarrieRee, I am going to find a vet I can hopefully take him to tomorrow for an assessment. I have to drive 200 miles from one county to another and there has to be a decent herp vet along the way. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The eye is likely not bothering him . I suspect that he was born like that because a recent injury would cause obvious infection and/or loss of vision . You could have it looked at but my guess is that it's just an anamoly. Be sure that your vet is very experienced with beardies or you could waste your money and subject your dragon to unnecessary, expensive and possible harmful treatments. I think he'll be fine though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom