Not eating or pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marline has grown so much I know I haven't been on here in along while. But I do need help she isn't eating as she used too she hasn't pooped in 2 days. When she was it was soft and very small urate, She has her mouth constantly open. I don't know what's wrong and it is starting to have me worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Her UVB what are you using? Basking temps how are you taking them? How old is the bulb? Humidity in her tank what is it?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok where is the T 8 and is there a plastic cover over the bulb? Distance needs to be 6-8 inches from basking decor and inside the tank
Karrie

PreciousMarline

Original Poster
None of the distances have changed, not the heat.
She is at the age of puberty, idk if that matters or plays a factor in her behavior. T8 bulb, no plastic shield, but with reflector.
It is 6" from decor/rock, above screen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that sounds all good --- not sure why shes not eating - is she hydrated that would cause her not to eat -- shes not pooping-- so when she does poop does it have a smell that makes you want to leave the room? I am thinking maybe parasites ---- you might want to have a fecal done to see if there are parasites-- I would call the vet see if you can drop off and sample have them test it and go from there -- ok maybe possible RI w/ her mouth constantly open -- any mucous coming from the nose or mouth any bubbles in the mouth??? She looks good and plump--- its not unusual for them not to poop and w/ her not eating alot its going to effect the pooping part --- I am just throwing ideas out there for the not eating etc............... keep an eye on her weight --- I would get the sample into the vet have it tested if shes still not eating take her in --- has she ever laid eggs ?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well then we need some others on here to help w/ the issue-- flagging your post
Karrie

Ok, so here is what I see (I am her dad):

Her basking rock is less than 6" from the new (less than a month old) T8 18" Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb in a non-lensed, reflected housing, shooting through the open mesh screen lid. Temps are measured by a handheld IR temp gauge (same one I use to check my tire carcass temps after some spirited runs), gauge shows anywhere between 85*-105* (depending on how much voltage I send to the bulb (as I have a variable-rheostat set-up inline with her basking lamp fixture). All this is controlled by an automatic (Zoo-Med) light timer unit. Temps also vary based on house temps, but we have the A/C set at 74* ambient.
The humidity varies based on whether we have misted her/her enclosure or not, but it will be between 40%-50% in most cases. Food and water are readily available to her, and she eats at her discretion. Right now, that is a mix of Kale, Acorn Squash, and large superworms. Her poops have been taking on the appearance of whatever she has eaten most (greenish for Kale, kind-of yellowish-orange when more squash has been consumed, and the normal dark brown/blackish when more iron/protein has been consumed). Her urate is usually about 1/4-1/8 of her poop, and well-formed and bright white. It is just the last few weeks her appetite has slowed considerably and her pooping habits have followed suit.
She is active, alert, attentive, and overall pretty much aware and very much alive! Her mouth has been open (in various amounts) for about a month now. She will follow you with her eyes (which are very bright and clear), responds to her name, and is usually quite responsive when picked up/held. She loves to go outside (an advantage of the Florida Panhandle) and I take her out for about 1/2 hour whenever I am able (usually mid-late afternoon). She's always alert, tasting, and looking about when we go outside. She shows NO signs of infection (respitory) as there is no mucus or discharge/discoloration or labored breathing.

I have had 5 other Dragons in my life (the little booger Cooper, whom I took the screen name from, Lassie, Benji, Otis, and my big-man Smaug), but it has been a bit (2 years) since I have had one in my life. Smaug was already full-grown when I got him, and the others were 10 years ago. I am having a very hard time remembering what they were like when they transitioned from 'juvenile' to 'adult'. I believe Marline is at that age (she is between 9 months to 10 months old) and I am thinking this is her slowing the growth and transitioning into adulthood.

Sorry for such a long post; I just wanted the information to get to the proper people, and for as much info to get there as I can remember.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How long is she basking under the UVB? Under 6" is pretty close- it should be 6-8-- I would adjust it and see if the behavior changes
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is a pretty girl, how old is she, 6-8 months?
Her belly is fairly round, has she ever laid eggs?
What type of substrate is she on right now, is it loose or a solid substrate?
I agree, they can stop eating for a number of reasons but when they stop growing as
much their appetites usually decrease as well. It sounds like she is active & alert.
A lot of them tend to start slowing down in late spring to summer for brumation believe
it or not. That could be some of it, but she may be developing eggs too. Some as young
as 6 months have been known to develop eggs.
I bet she loves going outside, there in Florida too!

Tracie

PreciousMarline

Original Poster
Hello Tracie sorry for getting back so late things have been crazy, she is about 9-10 months old. My fiance thinks it's because she is coming into adult hood. He doesn't remember his beardies doing that before. He also wasn't around when they transitioned from juvenile to adult. But he does remember they ate less when they were adults. But she has stopped completely eating for 2-3 weeks now. But she has been under her rock and alot less active, we can tell she has lost wieght. She has not laid eggs or close to it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get a fecal in for testing of parasites- - if she's not eating and losing weight that is one sign another is the smell of the poop if it's enough to drive you from the room another sign
- did you adjust the UVB? Under 6" is too close
Karrie
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom