Figment Outside

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Figment Outside

Postby ComicBookMama » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Took Figment outside for the first time today... just onto the front porch for some sunshine. He seemed moderately freaked out, particularly at the sound of cars passing by, and his colors got a bit darker. As a result, I snapped a couple of pictures and brought him back inside. We'll try again when I've got an outdoor enclosure set up for him, so I can make sure he's safe and secure and won't leap to the ground and run off or anything miserable like that. Weighing the pros and cons of harnesses vs. just bringing out a storage bin and covering up half the bin to make a shaded area and an area for sun basking - will gladly accept any thoughts on the matter.

Just hanging out on the table.

Please ignore the dirty hind foot... he stepped in poop and hates baths, so I haven't gotten it cleaned yet.
Last edited by ComicBookMama on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Figment's First Trip Outside

Postby Apollo15 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi! That is very cute. I have been meaning to take Apollo out ever since it got warmer. A little input: I use a harness as the first time I put Apollo in a basket and brought him outside, he puffed up. HUGE. Full black beard and everything. I had to take him back in, pet him, and return him to his comfy mattress. You know your beardie better than I do, but I just want to say that. :D Good luck!!
Apollo15
Newbie Poster

Re: Figment's First Trip Outside

Postby ComicBookMama » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:05 am

Apollo15 wrote:Hi! That is very cute. I have been meaning to take Apollo out ever since it got warmer. A little input: I use a harness as the first time I put Apollo in a basket and brought him outside, he puffed up. HUGE. Full black beard and everything. I had to take him back in, pet him, and return him to his comfy mattress. You know your beardie better than I do, but I just want to say that. :D Good luck!!

I'm probably going to get a harness, but I'm also hauling out a large storage tub that I can line with newspaper and drape a towel over to create a shady half. I'll keep an eye on Figment for signs of stress... don't want outdoor time to become a bad experience! Thanks for sharing yours, too. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Re: Figment Outside

Postby ComicBookMama » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Figment got his first protracted outing today in a storage bin which, as things turned out, I'm glad I lined with newspaper rather than a towel.

Things went well for the first ten minutes or so. I could tell that Figment started off a bit nervous... his colors darkened up, and he was "frozen" in place... but after a bit his colors brightened up, his tail arched way up, and he started moving around the tub. I snapped a couple of pics - I was surprised at how his colors changed, and could almost see a bit of orange streaking down his back, like when he was little.

Then he had a poo... and everything went south pretty quickly. He suddenly bolted and tried to run straight through the container wall, legs pretty much windmilling and sending the pooped-upon newspaper everywhere. I went to pick up the container to remove the paper, and he turned around and went into full threat display - black bearding for the first time, hissing, beard puffed way out. I talked soothingly to him as I removed the soiled paper, but when I went to take him (still in the container) back inside... we were locked out of the house. Just my luck.

So I moved the container with the now very stressed out dragon into the shade with me - he continued to hiss and puff his beard at me every time I touched the container - until my son got home and let us in. I got Figment back into his tank as soon as possible, and after about fifteen minutes of chilling out, he's been glass surfing and scrambling all around the tank like he does when he wants out. I was planning on giving him a bath today, but he has DEFINITELY had enough stress today... not sure if he needs to be running around on the floor right now, either!

Dragons. They sure do make life interesting.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Re: Figment Outside

Postby WinFam01 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Oh gee Figment, give your mom a break, lol!
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie Tales