Won't eat crickets :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I have a four month old bearded dragon who has been on crickets since I got him as his staple. Of course, he has the occasional meal worms, horn worms, etc. However, we have not wavered from crickets as his protein staple. He has never given me a problem with bugs until now (veggies are a different story :roll: ). What is weird about this situation is that he will still eat the first 3 or 4 crickets i give him. After that, he acts as if he is unable to catch them (he misses a lot) or he just stands there with almost a blank stare as if there's nothing going on up there and nothing can grab his attention. I would love any helpful tips! I know some may suggest switching his staple, but there are not other bearded dragon staples readily available to me. I also know that he is in fact hungry after only eating 3 or 4 crickets because I offered him mealworms afterward and he gobbled them up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try this website for insects most on here order on line and in the long run its cheaper
dubia roaches are a better staple anyway -- get your self a 10 gallon aquarium and some dubia food you can use carrots and squash for hydration - they last longer than cricket they dont stink and they dont chirp -- www.dubiaroaches.com you can get some super worms-- and horn worms from them as well - they are fast and very good - I would look at getting him some silk worms as well they are another great staple food --the horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow very fast so order in small amounts - I would also get him some nutri grubs also known as BSFL calci worms or phoenix worms order large as they are small - you can keep them on your counter for like 2 weeks or so then if they turn to flys still feed them to the dragon -- use them as salad toppers to get him to his salad bowl along w/ 1-3 super worms - make sure you add them to the salads in front of him so he sees you do this -- you will need a bowl like glass or ceramic so they cant get out - you can put your dubias in there after he eats from his salad bowl for like an hr or so - make sure your dusting the roaches - the nutri grubs do not need to be dusted
www.reptilianarts.com great place for silk worms if you order in bulk like 50 make sure you get food you will need to feed them and clean containers out daily - they come small -
www.coastilsilkworms.com
www.symptonbsf.com
Karrie

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fp61wrd said:
Try this website for insects most on here order on line and in the long run its cheaper
dubia roaches are a better staple anyway -- get your self a 10 gallon aquarium and some dubia food you can use carrots and squash for hydration - they last longer than cricket they dont stink and they dont chirp -- http://www.dubiaroaches.com you can get some super worms-- and horn worms from them as well - they are fast and very good - I would look at getting him some silk worms as well they are another great staple food --the horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow very fast so order in small amounts - I would also get him some nutri grubs also known as BSFL calci worms or phoenix worms order large as they are small - you can keep them on your counter for like 2 weeks or so then if they turn to flys still feed them to the dragon -- use them as salad toppers to get him to his salad bowl along w/ 1-3 super worms - make sure you add them to the salads in front of him so he sees you do this -- you will need a bowl like glass or ceramic so they cant get out - you can put your dubias in there after he eats from his salad bowl for like an hr or so - make sure your dusting the roaches - the nutri grubs do not need to be dusted
http://www.reptilianarts.com great place for silk worms if you order in bulk like 50 make sure you get food you will need to feed them and clean containers out daily - they come small -
http://www.coastilsilkworms.com
http://www.symptonbsf.com
Karrie

Wow, thank you so much for all the helpful information!! I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom