Possible RI, antibiotics more harmful than good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsheeran

I have a 4 month old beardie. About 5 days ago she started having these coughing/gagging/croaking episodes. I thought it was a one time thing but then she did it again the next day. She coughs about 6 times in one episode and was having them 1-2 times a day. I brought her to the vet and they said her setup was perfect and gave her fluids. She also cut down on eating. She was eating 10-15 dubias per sitting and now she eats 3-4 once a day. The vet is not sure what is wrong with her because her symptoms are not all day long but she also is barely eating. She now gets 1 injection of 6 ml of Ceftazidime every 3 days for 10 doses. My question is this. She hasn't coughed today that I know of and definitely perked up after her fluids and I really dont know if it truly is a respiratory infection. Would giving her the antibiotics cause more harm than good?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont know the answer to that question about the antibiotics but to make sure your tank is set up properly indulge me and tell me what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where is it in the tank or on top of screen? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- Often times vets do not know proper lighting sorry not saying your vet is a dummy but we always like to find out anyway --- we had one vet tell someone to use a colored bulb those are NO NO's -- just an example
If you like post a pic of the tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic
I am going to see if we can get Tracie or AHBD to answer the question about the antibiotics --
Karrie

hsheeran

Original Poster
This is her set up:

-20 gallon long (75 gallon when she is a little bigger)

-T8 uvb tube light mounted inside the tank 6 inches away from one of her basking spots

-100 watt basking bulb

-shelf liner for substate

-many hides, basking spots, ect

-temps are 110 on basking spot and 80 on cool side

-humidity is 30-40%

-no water inside tank, she is offered water daily with a dropper

-she is fed dubias as a staple and for treats: wax worms, meal worms, horn worms, BSFL

-she gets a bath every 2-4 days, I am very careful to avoid getting it near her face

She is more active today but still barely eating. She did eat the critical care powder the vet gave me and she loved it so much. She also was more active today and did fine after her shot last night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would lay off the baths -- she does not need that many baths -- most on here do not give baths unless necessary - like poop all over them selves - they wont drink other than a bath etc -- are you feeding her any salads --- she needs those now ---- the antibiotics have more than likely killed the appetite -- she should go back to eating them when done but let me get someone to answer the question
Karrie

hsheeran

Original Poster
Yes. She is offered salads daily but refuses to eat more than 3 bits. I have tried collard greens, mustard greens, lots of different veggies and fruit occasionally and she has no real interest in it. I do leave it in her tank all day incase she eats it when I am not watching.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yeah they need incentive to go to that bowl --- like worms BSFL - super worms - butter worms - silk worms --- she should be able to eat medium super worms --- I would get some of those worms and put them on top of her salad first thing in the morning --- only add like 1-3 supers -- you can use the BSFL to lure her to the bowl - add as many as you want dont dust them and make sure she sees you do this - the movement will get her to that bowl --- use a glass or ceramic bowl the insects / worms cant get out of -- let her eat from that bowl for like a hr or so then take a little salad out and add your dubias in that bowl - she will go after them and eat salad too -- try that if you need websites for the worms/ insects let me know I will post some for you -- your tank sounds great for the set up-- I would get her moved right away you dont need to wait-- shes gonna go thru relocation stress tho--- so her eating will once again slow down --- was she showing signs of RI or did the vet just assume she had it -- any mucous coming out of her nose mouth - bubbles in the mouth -- lots of mouth breathing????
Karrie

hsheeran

Original Poster
I will definitely try that salad trick!

As for the respiratory issues it started out as her randomly gagging and breathing heavy over a few days. The gagging was only 2 episodes a day but she did it 4-6 times. She also stopped eating and drinking by the 4th day. Other than that she didn’t have symptoms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok well I flagged the post to Tracie and AHBD -- they should be able to answer that question Tracies our vet mod shes on at nite
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Is it possible that she is just stretching her beard?
We thought something was wrong when ours first started doing it.

hsheeran

Original Poster
I am truly not sure. She started making croaking sounds that sounded just like a frog and opening her mouth. I have seen her stretch her beard but nothing like that. She hasn't done it in 2 days that I know of. I started to get worried when she slowed down on eating. She was also extra sleepy so I brought her in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup sounds fine, to me. As suggested by Karrie, for now, if respiratory issues might
be suspected, forego the baths so she doesn't get chilled, etc.
The Ceftz dose is 6ml or, did you mean to type .6ml? Where on the syringe do you draw the
fluid to & what sized syringe are you using?
Do you have any probiotics you can give to her?
Medications do serve their purposes for reptiles, but, you also have to be careful when giving
them.
Be sure to continue giving the extra fluids to help with the kidney stress. Has she essentially
stopped coughing? How much longer do you have on the medication for her?

Tracie

hsheeran

Original Poster
Yes, Sorry I meant .6ml as for the medication, the vet gave me pre dosed syringes so all I have to do is thaw them. She has stopped coughing that I know of but still wont eat. I am not entirely sure if she even has a RI because she just shed her nose trumpets... It would be great if thats all it was but she has never ever done the croaking sounds around the time she sheds them, she has also done it a couple times. Before I brought her to the vet I checked around her nose for signs of shedding and never saw any. Should I continue with the antibiotics?

hsheeran

Original Poster
Forgot to add-

She is scheduled to have antibiotics every 3 days for 10 doeses.

I do not have probiotics but I do have vitamins. I can get some though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom