One eye looks swollen and won’t open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipe711

Original Poster
i’m honestly not sure , i bought a tank and it came with the long UVB lamp but i’m not sure what brand it is. So i need the basking lamp on the basking side and i should put the heat lamp in the middle ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your heat emitter can go in the middle of the tank but do not use it unless your tank is falling below 65 at nite --- I need you to look on the bulb of the UVB look for the brand and the bulb wattage and it should say T 8 or T 5 -- this is extremely important --- how long have you had the set up --- UVB's expire ---- but I need to know if that bulb is a T 8 or a T 5
I am posting a pic of Blazes tank I will tell you what each light is
97951-8462642594.jpg
On the far right of the tank in the back is the basking bulb
In the middle of the tank is the UVB ---
there is a heat emitter sitting in the middle of the tank on top that you cannot see - it is used in the winter time only

Karrie

Felipe711

Original Poster
I have good news , I got some of the saline solution and put it on a Q tip and i cleaned his eye out. It turns out he had something stuck in his eye, his eye is fully open now and he just finished eating his dinner! Do you still suggest i get a basking lamp for his basking side of the tank? And if so am i supposed to leave the regular heat lamp in the middle part of the tank or is the heat lamp not needed ?
108700-5190312038.jpg
108700-8685143296.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You only need the heat emitter if your tank is falling below 65 at nite--- it is imperative that you get a bright white basking bulb that will keep basking temps 105-110 but you must have a digital probe thermometer!!! I still need the UVB info-- if you do not get your lighting corrected your going to have a very sick dragon on your hands! The UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in the tank and the over all health of your dragon----- if you don't have proper temps and UVB your dragon will quit eating and become lethargic
Karrie

Felipe711

Original Poster
What brand of the basking lamp should i get or is the best in your opinion ? I’m also gonna get the proper thermometer, And i’ll try to find out what type UVB lamp it is ASAP.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go to PetSmart or Petco get a exo terra 100 watt start there-- check you dome inside it see what it says for wattage it goes up to- get the probe take the heat emitter out and put the basking bulb in- put the probe on the spot where he sits--- all I need is the bulb your using in your fixture does your fixture have a reflector? The reflector would be a shiny material behind the bulb--- this too is important- I can advise w/ that info
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news you got the eye cleaned out. It does look much better, too. For now, I
would continue cleaning it out for a few more day just in the case it is still a little bit irritated.
Are you using a loose substrate, too? Definitely upgrade your thermometer to a digital probe
or temp gun so you can keep better track of your temperatures.
Yes, they need bright white light along with heat during the day to help stimulate behavior &
also to help protect the eyes from UVB exposure too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom