Introducing Legion and Sunrise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

First, I would like to say how impressed I am with this site and how informative it is! I run a rescue, foster and rehoming program where I live. I just recently rescued a bearded dragon. She came to me without a name. The owner had her for a year and didn't bother naming her. That is sad to me, and for some reason irritates me to no end. I'm not even sure why. Anyway, her name is now Sunrise. I would like to give the previous care during the first year of her life, then follow up with the care she is receiving now. If there are any suggestions on changes that I should make, please do not hesitate to let me know as this (and baby Legion) are the first bearded dragons in my care.

When I got Sunrise, she was delivered by my life partner. Sunrise was in a smaller enclosure, I would say about a twenty gallon.

Name: Sunrise
Sex: Female
Substrate: Calcium Sand
Diet: Bearded Dragon Pellets with 10 crickets per day. Vegetables offered once in a while as a treat.
Lighting: 75w house light
Heating: No extra heat provided
Soaks/Bathing: Once per month
Enrichment/Exercise: Spent most of the time out of the enclosure to roam freely around the house. Would be returned to the enclosure at night.

So, after quite a bit of researching (before I saw this site as I tend to watch videos or gather information from veterinarians) I purchased a 40 gallon terrarium. I placed a hammock in the basking area of her enclosure. She also has a couple of basking rock caves. (I will provide pictures in a following post as my photos are on my phone at this time.) She also has a large feeding bowl.

Substrate: Substituted sand for tile flooring to reduce paper waste and for the ease of cleaning
Diet: Daily salad consisting of a variety: (Not all of these at once, I mix it up each day)
Greens: Dandelion leaves, romaine lettuce, white clover leaves, collard greens (more greens than any other ingredient)
Vegetables: Carrots, green beans, squash, broccoli stalks, peas
Fruits: At this point she has only been offered bananas and enjoyed them. She gets a tiny bit in her salad a few times a week. She has been offered strawberries but did not appear to enjoy it.
Bugs: mealworms, grubs, superworms, hornworms, dubia roaches (I have recently began a roach colony)
Supplements: ReptiCal and Multi vitamin powder
Lighting: 10.0 UVB at 75 W
Heat: Non light ceramic heat bulb (Temperature readings range between 85-90 degrees)
Soaks/Bathing: Spray down daily, soak/bath weekly
Enrichment: Due to the following observed symptoms, along with other animals within the house, enrichment outside of the enclosure has been limited. However, she is taken out of the enclosure for some free roam time in order to observe physical abilities, and will be taken outside of the enclosure for bug hunting exercise.

Noticed Symptoms: As Sunrise walks on flat surfaces, her hind legs drag behind with no real movement. She prefers to not support herself in an upright position but rather lays her head on her arms. She is able to climb using an army crawl style on furniture of while being held. She seems to struggle climbing to her hammock. A rock cave has been placed near the hammock for assistance. She does not utilize the full length of her enclosure. She will only roam to the cooler side when eating. No visible signs of eye infection. No visible scarring. Skin was wrinkled, possible from dehydration which improved within the past few weeks. Visible diamond shaped white scales near her tail. (will provide pictures in the following post)

I believe that Sunrise may have MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) However, I am not a vet, so can't be sure. I have been having difficulty finding a vet who cares for Bearded Dragons in my area. Any help with ideas for care would be greatly appreciated.

Baby Legion

Once I brought Sunrise into my home, I decided to add a baby bearded dragon into our family. At this moment, Legion is believed to be a male. He is less than six months old so it is hard to be sure (or so I have been told) His diet consists of mostly a mix of bugs with a small amount of salad. That is mostly the only difference in the care I have given him except that his temperatures run higher than Sunrise. His temperature is usually running between 98-105 degrees

About me: There is not much to say except that I have a huge love for animals. My life partner has cut me off from the amount of pets that we have. I have decided to keep Sunrise, to not rehome her. So, that makes the animal count as: 2 dogs, 2 bearded dragons, a ball python, and 4 ferrets. I have been with the local humane society for over a year as a volunteer foster fur parent. However, they do not take in exotic type pets so I created my own little rescue. I have been studying and caring for animals of all ranges since I was a child with over 35 years of experience. Bearded Dragons are a new species for me and I find them to be one of the most extraordinary animals I have cared for. I am a current college student, attempting to get my first degree in psychology. I have been with my life partner for 8 years. If you have any questions, ask away! I am quite chatty at times.

**Edit**
The temperatures that were listed were for the basking areas. The cooler sides are typically around 75 degrees for Sunrise and 85 degrees for Legion

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Bless you for taking her in --- she is going to need some real good care -- and yes I am thinking she has MBD-- so w/ that being said what is a 10.0 UVB at 75 W? Is this a coil or a tube I have not heard of this and what brand? My recommendation is to get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector -- you can look here
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html
I am recommending the Arcadia bulb as it has the D3 in it and would be a better bulb for her --
I would try lowering the decor for her if shes struggling to climb- the UVB fixture should go into the tank approx 12-15 inches from her basking decor - and she should have basking temps of 95-110 - its good to offer a gradient heat for them - Legion should have temps 105-110 the temps need to be taken w / a digital probe thermometer cool side of the tanks should be 80 during the day-- both dragons should have salad every day --- by the time they are adults a year and older they should be getting bugs only 2-3 time per week -- temps at nite should be in the 70's you dont want them 80 and above -- they sleep better w/ cooler temps
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

AlwaysLost

Original Poster
Thank you for the information! I had to get the supplies in a hurry. Reptisun is the brand of light I ordered. Maybe there wasn't a wattage? I am including the pictures of the enclosures and the beardies. I think lol I haven't posted pictures on forums before.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is in the dome for a UVB is it a 13 watt or a 26 watt?
Karrie

AlwaysLost

Original Poster
Hello Karrie!

I actually kept the boxes for the lights and heat emitter and just had to find it

26 Watt Reptile UVB 100 from EXO TERRA former Repti glo 5.0

60 W Fluker's Ceramic Heat Emitter

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I haft to say it but get rid of it --- those coil bulbs are just not any good --- please replace w/ what I sent you for both of them --- she will be way better off and you dont want Legion to end up like her --- so you have no basking bulbs --- ? Heat emitters are for your tank when you need heat at nite if the tanks are falling below 65-- you need 2 one for each bright white basking bulbs - are they both in 40 gallon tanks? I would start w/ a 100 watt - but you must have a digital probe thermometer to get those temps -- 95-110 for Sunrise and 105-110 for Legion -- that is a must!! You dont want to burn them up--- in the meantime I would get Sunrise out in the sun for some UVB -- those coils arent doing any good especially in a 40 gallon tank --- you can put her on you sit w/ her in direct sunlight for 30 minutes or so -- Legion since hes little and we dont want to lose him put him in a plastic tote NO glass in direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes NO longer we dont want to burn him up --- you can do that a couple of times per day -- 15 minutes equals out to about 4 hrs of UVB -- I would do this till you get the UVB replaced -- when you get the UVB's let me know so we can help you get them placed in the tank -- you have options for the T 5's
Karrie

AlwaysLost

Original Poster
I am going to order the replacement lights today. Unfortunately, I live in a high humidity area. (Kansas, USA) High humidity is not good for bearded dragons? I didn't want to take the risk of bringing them outside.

**edit**
Legion's in a 20 gallon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok legions tank is going to need to be upgraded very soon - he will outgrow that tank in a few months - I would get the 24" fixture but get the Reptisun 10.0 5.0 bulb it's a T 8- then when you get the bigger tank swap the 5.0 bulb for the 10.0 -- if you order off of pangea that zoo med fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb - what is the humidity out side? I have not run across the humidity outside issue just in the tank--- we don't usually worry about it unless it's 70% or higher
Karrie

AlwaysLost

Original Poster
It's early evening and the humidity is at 62%

**edit**

I was actually thinking about switching the enclosures. Legion would have the 40 gallon and Sunrise would have the 20 until she gets better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's fine but you must sanitize them w/ some Wipeout or F10--- before you switch tanks- that is important- we don't know what if any dieseases they may have you don't want them contaminating each other- better to be safe than sorry-- you want sunrise to have a good UVB she is very sick- the 5.0 is good for the 20 gallon but not as strong as the Arcadia since it has D3
Karrie
Karrie

AlwaysLost

Original Poster
I already use wipe out due to other reptiles that I have cared for. ? I will also have the lights replaced by July 4

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the clan! Bless you for rescuing Sunrise and giving her a name... she definitely sounds like she has MBD, but Karrie has you well on the path to helping her recover. I look forward to seeing posts on her improvement! And little Legion will grow up into a big, strong dragon under your loving care. Have fun with them - and take lots of pics, particularly of Legion- little dragons grow so fast!!!

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Great to have you (and your crew)! :)

I am still new... hopefully more of the more experienced owners will chime in with suggestions, but in the meantime, it sounds like you are off to a great start.

Coincidentally, years ago I had a rescue ferret who dragged his back legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom