New born beardie weak and yolk unabsorbed, please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardiesilk

My baby bearded dragons have just hatched and I have been taking them out of the incubator and into the cage. There was a small one that wasn’t moving much but I figured, like the rest of them, he was just tired. I decided afterwards I’d give all of the babies that have hatched a bath. I put a very thin and shallow layer of water for them to splash around in and get the dirt off of them. I picked up the small one that had recently hatched and realized it’s yolk wasn’t absorbed. I put it back in the incubator so that it could absorb but it has been over an hour and the yolk Is still there. Is this normal? And what can I do to help him, please share any info you have, I want him to be a healthy baby!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a good pic to show the baby's yolk sac ? Many times those will fall off after a 1-3 days. If the baby is a runt it may need to be kept on it's own.

Beardiesilk

Original Poster
Hello, thank you for responding, good news is that he did in fact end up absorbing the egg yolk after a couple more hours, however he is substantially smaller than all the others and I guess, is a runt. Is it still a good idea to separate him? Thanks- Beardiesilk

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes he will not get the nourishment he needs to survive -- the others will pick on him
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., that's good. Have you raised clutches before ? It's best to separate them very soon , 6-8 babies in a plastic tub . The runt can go in with the smallest group and just observed to see that he's eating. So how many little buggers do you have and can you post pics of how you're setting them up ?

Beardiesilk

Original Poster
Hello, thank you for responding I will try to separate the little guy as soon as possible into a smaller tank,I don't know how to attach a pic, but I have them set up in a clear tank with a UV and heat lamp with newspaper as a substrate. I have around 15 that have hatched so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom