One eye looks swollen and won’t open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipe711

One of my beardies eyes won’t open , a few days ago i noticed he had something in his eye it looked like debris or something small that got stuck on accident so i didn’t really pay attention in hopes it would come out by itself. But today i noticed his eye won’t open, i don’t know if it’s eye shed or why it won’t open but i’m worried any help to what i can do or what it is will be appreciated.

Felipe711

Original Poster
XIMG]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the eye https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic - it should post
this will help us better determine what the issue could be
what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb tube or coil and where in the tank is it ? top of screen or inside the tank?
What are you using for substrate - NO sand --- it cause can cause impaction and harbors bacteria
Karrie

Felipe711

Original Poster
i think clicking on that link would let you see the photos of all the lamps i’m using and the set up i have. And in the photo of my beardie you can see it looks kinda swollen and he has a piece of what looks like shed in my opinion but i’m not too sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No when I click on that link it brings up all my pics of what I have downloaded not yours
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the brand and bulb of the UVB what is it -- look on the bulb itself and tell me what it is---- I need to know for placement reasons -- also your using a heat emitter that is ok for nites when your tank is dropping below 65--- it does no good for digestion purposes -- please go to your pet store and get a bright white basking bulb - I would start w/ a 100 watt -- NO colored or yellowish bulb a bright white bulb --- next you need a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate basking temp NO stick ons they are inaccurate you want basking temps 105-110-- -- petsmart or petco $7--- you must have this!!!! you do not want to cook your dragon ---- what are you feeding your dragon? crickets??? If so do NOT leave them in the tank over nite -- I was looking to see if it was possible shed but it doesnt look like it so the next thing I needed to know was about lighting specifically COILS -- so w/ none of that going on I am thinking its a cricket that bit him -- I was looking for sand or loose substrate as well for cause --- ok so please get some regular saline solution nothing for contacts -- use a qtip and wash his eye w/ it next get some raw unpastuerized honey like Manuka if you can find it and mix a tiny bit of water so it has some consistency to it and apply w/ a q tip -- it is swollen so if there is a infection going on the honey is going to kill it -- apply a few times per day ---- DO NOT LEAVE CRICKETS in the tank --- they will go straight to that eye --- please keep us posted on the eye
Karrie

Felipe711

Original Poster
i actually don’t feed him crickets for the same reason , i feed him dubia roaches. I tried cleaning it out with a Q tip but he would only flinch so i’m not sure if he just didn’t like it. If he doesn’t get better these upcoming days i might just take him to the vet. And for the thermometer im using one of those stick on Zilla branded thermometers that tell you the humidity and temperature and i have it on the basking side of the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is not a accurate way of getting temps please get the digital probe thermometer and a basking bulb -- he wont be able to digest his food and your going to have a sick dragon on your hands -- as far as no crickets maybe it could be shed but I am not seeing shed so I am going to flag your post to the vet moderator and another person on here that can help --- if they say you need a vet then I will post a website for you to find a reptile vet
Karrie

Felipe711

Original Poster
It turns out i have a heat lamp instead of a basking bulb , is that a bad thing and should i get a basking bulb to replace the heat lamp? And sounds good i’ll get the digital thermometer today. Do you suggest i get the reptile eye drops to help clear out his eye or what he may have in it ? But thank you for the help i’ll keep you updated !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You have a ceramic heat emitter then so just get a good basking bulb. His eye seems to have a bit of shed in it like Karrie said so go with her advice on saline solution to gently rinse it. Raw honey can be used for infection but it looks like there's just some shed there to be rinsed out.

Felipe711

Original Poster
Sounds good , but where should the heat lamp go when i get the basking lamp ? Like on what side of the tank should i put it on. Or does it just have to be the basking lamp on the basking side and the cool side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want a basking side a warm middle and a cool side--
cool side of the tank 80's during the day
warm middle around 90's and the basking area 105--110
what is the brand and bulb of the UVB this is very important
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom