Severe Dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Pickles, was he moving normally before the overheating episode ? If this just happened after it then he has some neurological damage which may or may not resolve. I agree the poo may be from the Critical Care but the important thing is just to keep him hydrated and maintain the proper temps. I don't know if a vet could do anything about this . Maybe Drache [ Tracie ] will have some input.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon this evening?
If he sustained heat injury, there is a possibility that he may have irreversible neurological
damage. Only time will tell on that. Is his beard back to normal?
Is he eating very much, or is he just primarily getting the critical care? Powdered foods such
as the critical care will definitely cause marked changes in their stools.

Tracie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey all. Sorry for the lack of replies. It's been a messed up weekend. Anyway Pickles still isn't very interested in food. He isn't really moving all that much but a little more than the last few days. Here is a quick video I managed to get. His movement still seems a little jerky.
https://youtu.be/XVfXGxqSHJc

I'm still giving him the critical care food and offering veggies and crickets but no go on those. His beard is pretty much back to normal. It still has a bit of a dark spot in one little corner but that maybe natural and I just never noticed it before. It's not black just a little dark. Vet asked me to bring in a stool sample for a test so I'll be doing that next time he poops (hopefully not on me this time). My family (we all share a 3 family home) is checking on him while I work so at least I know someone is keeping an eye on him. They all love this little guy as much as I do (which is funny because they were all terrified of him at first till they held him for the first time).

I just wanted to let everyone who has replied here know just how much your advise has meant to me. This little guy came into my life at a time I needed him the most and if I lost him I'd be crushed. So from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you keeping a weight on him? I would just to make sure hes not losing weight - the CC are you having to force feed or is he taking it off a spoon willingly? The fecal is the vet doing a parasite check? Keep us posted on him please and hopefully things will go back to normal for him
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's still shaky but it's good that he didn't actually die from heat stroke. Only time will tell if he fully recovers, just keep him well hydrated and stress free. It's best to wait a bit before doing any deworming because his system is still suffering from the overheating, and that can affect his kidneys, electrolytes, etc.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Whew, been waiting for an update hoping he was hanging in there.
Good to hear he is moving at least a bit more, hopefully that's a good sign!

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello gang. Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been a busy couple of weeks. I'm happy to say Pickles defied the odds the vet gave him and has made a full recovery. He's eating food again (although being stubborn about his veggies) and I can't keep him still as he constantly wants to run around when outside his tank). The vet was truly shocked as she didn't think he'd even survive the ride home with me the night I first brought him in. Thanks to everyone here for the support and advise. It really did help out a lot!
107595-4650530233.jpg
107595-1658273787.jpg
107595-9656689758.jpg

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I was afraid you were away because he didn't make it, so I am super glad to hear this great news!
Tough guy for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom