Juvenile weight question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone. I have a beardie named Tokyo, and I'm not sure of his exact weight and age but he is around 12-13 inches. He doesn't have any problems with eating or basking, so my only concern is hus weight. According to his length and estimated weight, I started feeding him 2 feedings of 10 dubia roaches instead of 3, as well as veggies and greens. Here is a pic:
108150-2137230076.jpg
Does he look fine?

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey once again... why am I not getting any replies? I used to get them within minutes of posting something, but I've already had like 3 posts and no replies. Is the website under maintenence or something? Did I do something rude or against the rules? Please let me know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No your good - I would weigh him on a kitchen food scale-- a adult bearded dragons weight they say should be around 300 grams- he looks young to me he looks around 10 months-- but that is a guess- I would cut the dubias back to 1 time per day -- are you offering him any type of worms?
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I used to offer him a few waxworms but I stopped with those because of their high fat content. Other then that I was planning om buying silkworms, but since I usually buy in larger amounts the silkworms were close to $100, and I can't afford that at the pace he would be eating them. Are you sure I should cut back on the dubias? His belly becomes large by the end of the day and when he poops it goes back to being skinny and slightly wrinkly. That made me think that he doesn't have enough fat stored in his body but I'm no expert so I'm not sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes cut back on them and order some silk worms feed both -- alternate between the two - it will give him a variety -- I order mine thru here www.reptilianarts.com if you order in bulk like 50 make sure you get food you will need to feed them daily and clean containers out --- they do come small -- you can also order super worms from them -- they are fast and have nice worms -- another place you can get them from is www.coastilsilkworms.com I would look at getting him some meal worms and horn worms and butter worms -- butter worms are out everywhere I cant find them -- the horn worms and the meal worms and supers you can get from here www.dubiaroaches.com the horn worm is a hydrating worm and they grow real fast so order small amounts -- offer those worms in his salad every day like 1-3 of them -- wax worms are fatty and I dont feed mine them but its just as well my two dont like them anyway along w/ the meal worms they wont eat them either - try some of those and see how it goes - its good to offer them variety --
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much! Now I have one more question but it's not as important - whenever I go to pick up Tokyo he stats in my hand for a sec then jumps off back into his cage. He used to love being with me and would even fall asleep (not cose his eyes because of stress but actually sleep) on me. Now he tries to get off me asap and runs around the room. If I get near him he runs a little further and so on. However he has no signs of stress even while this is happening. What could be going on here? I hand feed him sometimes so he's used to my hand being there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure how long have you had him? Their behavior does seem to differ every day -- does he do this all the time now or only once?
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've had him since late April of this year. This would happen rarely a few weeks back but a lot more recently - it feels like once he's out of the "border" of his tank he's better, but when he's near it he'll try to go back a lot. Once he's out though it's like he avoids me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is a teenager exploring -- give him time to explore but keep an eye on him -- I have a 1 yr old that explores my LR -- its just him getting to know his outside world he will calm down more as he gets older -- it sounds like hes still learning to trust as well - just keep working w/ him and he will eventually get over his teenage years -- you know how teenagers are --
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm looking for worms to buy for a variety for Tokyo's food from your suggestion, and silkworms are pretty expensive for me. I did some research and found a website where you can buy a cup of 100 phoenix worms for $5. https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/phoenix-worms-1/ Are phoenix worms a good option? I was thinking of a feeding schedule like this: salad w/ a few phoenix worms on top (change between Phoenix and superworms every so often) and then around 10 dusted dubia roaches 2-3 hours before bed. Should this be enough and healthy for a 12.5-inch beardie? (I just got a more accurate measurement)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Phoenix worms are the same as BSFL- they are small so order large and they are a good salad lure for babies- feed as many as you want- also try here for them www.symptonbsf.com I fed them when blaze was around 3-6 months then he quit eating them I think he got tired of them-- but yes you can use those too just done dust them - they are also known as calciworms and nutigrubs-- dubiaroaches has them too
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Just FYI I just purchased bsfl from calcigrubs.com and they are cheaper shipping and the worms are bigger than where I got them from before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom