Bearded Dragon Breathing Problem From Cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon has not been eating much for the last few months and her fat pads have recently shrunken. I made a vet appointment but before her appointment she began lifting her head up and gasping for air while mucus would drip from her nose. I called the vet and they said they see her right away.

They did an x ray and said she has no fluid in her lungs and does not have a respiratory infection, but that she has cancer and it is affecting her lungs causing them to not expand properly.

They said food is most likely difficult for her to swallow and force feeding could cause her to choke.

The vets only suggestion was euthanazation, but I can’t bring myself to do that.

Should I get a second vet’s opinion or is there anything at all I can do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh man I am so sorry to hear about your baby--- AHBD or Tracie our vet mod is gonna haft to help you out on this one--- how old is your dragon? did they do blood work? If you can post the X ray and blood work for Tracie she can look them over for you and give you her thoughts
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post ---
If you dont have the blood work you can call the vets office and have them email it to you
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I am so sorry, that is so very sad!
Please do post x-rays just so we can see what is going on. So she has a tumor internally
pressing on her lungs or stomach that is affecting her breathing?
How long has this been going on?
What kind of foods have you had her on, etc?
Just to be sure, I would try to get a 2nd opinion though.

Tracie

julian7321

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply. I don’t think blood tests were performed (my mom is actually the one who took her to the vet appointment) but I will get whatever I can from the vet and post. And my dragon is 5 or 6. We are not the original owners, but this is our 3rd year with her.
KarrieRee":2js101n3 said:
Oh man I am so sorry to hear about your baby--- AHBD or Tracie our vet mod is gonna haft to help you out on this one--- how old is your dragon? did they do blood work? If you can post the X ray and blood work for Tracie she can look them over for you and give you her thoughts
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post ---
If you dont have the blood work you can call the vets office and have them email it to you
Karrie

julian7321

Original Poster
That’s what I don’t understand. The x ray showed no tumor so I don’t understand how it affects her lungs, unless it’s organ failure, which the vet does suspect since her belly is sort of stiff.

Her diet has always been a freeze dried omnivore mix mixed with fresh fruits and like strawberries and blueberries and calcium coated roaches.

The vet said her bone density was perfect so she must have had good lighting and diet.

Her loss of appetite has been going on for a few months, but we had hoped it was just because she doesn’t eat much during winter but got worried when it extended into the warmer months.

Her fat pads began to mildly shrink about a month or two ago, but have completely sunken in over the last two weeks.

Her breathing difficulties and runny nose began just last Wednesday. She has barely opened her eyes the last two days now.
Drache613":38hzo6f0 said:
Hello,

Wow, I am so sorry, that is so very sad!
Please do post x-rays just so we can see what is going on. So she has a tumor internally
pressing on her lungs or stomach that is affecting her breathing?
How long has this been going on?
What kind of foods have you had her on, etc?
Just to be sure, I would try to get a 2nd opinion though.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? I agree, it does seem a bit strange if they didn't see anything on the
x-rays. I would consider getting a blood test to see her liver & kidney functions. Do you have
any pictures of her you could post?
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom