Baby Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my baby Rango for almost a month, he's very small and (before I say this please don't hate me) he's from Petco. When I bought him he ate fine, was eating about 12-15 crickets a day, after that he was full & wouldn't eat whenever I offered food to him. I am terrified he has some type of parasite because my parents will not take him to the vet and even if we did there is no reptile vet around me. I am terrified I am going to lose my baby, please give me some advice. Any will help.

His setup.
He's in a 30 gallon reptile tank. He has a 10.0 UVB bulb and 75watt basking bulb (people at petco said 75watts was okay for a small tank. I don't know tho thinking about getting a 100watt but not sure if that'll be too hot for him.) He's on reptile carpet that I wash 3x a week. He has access to a water bowl and fresh greens every morning. I've started him off on kale with mealworms on top then sprinkled with calcium powered. I sometimes put calcium on the crickets before i give them to him (back when he ate which was 3 days ago)

Behavior.
i try to handle him but he jumps and doesnt really trust me. One day he falls asleep on my hand and the next he wont let me touch him. When we first got him he would run around his tank and look around but now all he does is lay in one spot all day unless i move him. He doesnt necessarily sleep all day, he mainly just lays there and looks around the room. He shed for the first time about a week and a half ago but he is no longer shedding but still not eating.

I just need help please, I've grown so attracted to him, I love him with all my heart and I do not wanna lose him. Any advice at all would help me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
10.0 UVB bulb is this a coil or a tube? He should be eating something -- they go thru relocation stress but not eating at all tells me something is off --- what are his basking temps? And how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate! Lighting in the tank and basking temps are crucial to their over all health -- DO NOT change out the basking bulb till you have a accurate basking temp!! Temps for a baby should be 105-110-- and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---your going to need to move him /her into a bigger tank here real soon -- a 30 gallon tank is not big enough for even a juvenile dragon --- a 40 is pushing it for a full size dragon -- a 75-120 gallon tank is required for a full size dragon -- please post pics of the tank and lighting so we can get a better pic of whats going on
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG a the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post - wait for page to refresh then check to see if it posted
Karrie

RangosMama

Original Poster
His UVB bulb is a coil. His basking spot is around 100 to 105 and I'm measuring them with a digital thermometer set next to his basking spot. He ate fine when I first got him tho, then he she for the first time about a week and a half ago and his stress spots came back. The Mark's are gone now but he's not eating. I'm currently sitting here with him and he is just laying there with his eyes close
I had planned on moving him into a bigger tank once I got money saver back up again. My next move was going to be a 75 gallon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, so sorry to hear about little Rango. First of all a 30 gal. or even 20 gal. is definitely fine for a baby until it gets larger so the tank size is not a problem. And don't feel guilty about getting him from Petco, it's your business where you got him. It IS true that you need a better uvb bulb, a long tube Reptisun 10.0 [ t5 is better than a t8 ] I'm wondering if your baby is impacted though, mealworms are bad for very small babies and you have to be sure that any crickets are smaller than the space between a baby's eyes. Give Rango some natural laxatives like sugar free applesauce, baby food sweet potato or squash and extra water mixed in a syringe. Please post pics of Rango, the set up and the size of the insects next to a coin. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I recommend you change out the UVB -- its the coil thats causing the issue at this point along w/the relocation stress --- you need to invest in this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html you want the 24" since your upgrading to a bigger tank --- this comes w/ the 5.0 bulb use it - it will be good for the 30 gallon tank -- when you upgrade to the bigger tank you can go to this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html you will need a 22" bulb -- you need to get this ASAP-- in the mean time please take him outside in a plastic tote or he can sit on you I recommend the tote so you dont loose him NO glass - put him in direct sun/ partial shade for 15 minutes NO longer you dont want to burn him up - you can do this a couple times per day till the UVB comes in -- please let us know when you change it out so we can help you place it --- and yes please NO more meal worms!
Karrie

RangosMama

Original Poster
My dad is looking for bulb now. I do have a question tho, how do I keep a cricket still long enough to take a picture lol. They're always jumping around for me and almost never hold still.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Disable it by pulling the legs off then take a pic of it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Proper UVB and proper basking temps- they will not eat if those are not correct- if he has parasites that too will make them not eat--
Karrie

RangosMama

Original Poster
We ordered the Reptisun 10.0 tube and it should be here in a few days. I'm trying so hard to make sure he doesnt get parasites I wash his greens before I give them to him every time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the parasites would come from the crickets - thats why I am not real fond of crickets-- you can take him outside in a plastic tote NO glass set him in direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes no longer in the tote you dont want to burn him up- if hes on you longer like 30 minutes or so but be careful you dont want to lose him -- or a couple of times a day in the tote - do this till you get your UVB in -- when it comes in please let us know so we can help you w/ placement
Karrie

RangosMama

Original Poster
He's acting different and its worrying me. I turned his lights off for bed and he started to, not necessarily run but he is like, slow running if that makes sense. He jus looks, dazed and he's scratching at the glass. He did this when I first got him but after the first week he stopped.

RangosMama

Original Poster
Whenever I try to hand him crickets or anything he just ignore it. I've even switched out his greens thinking maybe he just didnt like it but he still didnt eat. I leave a few crickets in his terrarium everyday before I leave and when I come back it seems like he's eaten maybe 1, at most 2. His fecieces is weird looking as well, it's a mixture or brown and white. I know there is supposed to be a brown and white part but I dont know if it's normal for them to mix or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that's poop and urate- post a pic of it--- the smell does it make you want to leave the room smell?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom