Accidentally over fed juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi there I was hoping I wouldn't have to post here again so soon,,

As i was feeding my 4-5 month old dragon, Charlie, I accidentally tipped too many woodie roaches from the container. They are medium sized, some possibly a little bigger than the space between her eyes.

They were too fast for me to catch- but not her. I think i accidentally let out 10-13 or so. Definitely no more than 15.

She chased and devoured ALL of them.

Her belly was bloated a little yestersay and she did a MASSIVE poo this morning. Her usual routine is about 10-12 BSFL and may be 5-10 medium crickets or woodie roaches a day. She has a healthy appetite for the woodies and crickets for sure but i think in total this morning shes eaten upwards 17-20 roaches (as i already gave her a few dusted ones). She stuck her nose up at the BSFL so it was only the roaches today.

Should i be worried that I've accidentally over fed her? :(

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
KarrieRee":33pu6g4i said:
No your good----- if she has pooped already shes fine :)
Karrie

She pooped before the mass feed but she looks Well and happy this evening, I'll see if she poops them all out tomorrow too; thanks Kerrie !

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
WinFam01":3smxxfde said:
Is there something that can happen from an overfeeding?

Im not 100% sure to be honest- there's a lot of mixed information out there

Apparently impaction could happen in babies (or adults even maybe?) If over fed.. particularly with crunchier or high protien diet. Some animals dont know when to stop eating and will eat themselves to death but im fairly certain beardies arent one of them.

My previous girl had lots of gastric issues and fatty liver which ultimately lead to her passing so i might just be overly cautious- admittedly baby Charlie is looking really pudgy!

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I'm just still new, so always looking to learn. :)

If I had gone through what you did I would be cautious too. ♥️

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
A beardie that young should be given food until they start looking like they are hesitating, so you’re not in any danger. Mari looked like Santa Claus when she was about 4 months old because she’d eat 30 crickets in a single meal (she’s 18 inches long at 7 months old, so I guess she had the appetite to accommodate for her rapidly growing body.).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, as long as they were not overly large, there shouldn't be any danger of her becoming
impacted. I think that she will be perfectly fine though. Especially if she has already gone to
the bathroom, she should normalize in the next few days.
I am sure she was definitely excited about the abundance of food there. LOL

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom