Tail rot? And then woke up to a hole in his tail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
AHBD":1dcyb8e4 said:
Wow, 1K for R.I. treatment ? That's super expensive. Was your dragon hospitalized or nebulized ?
Nope. i was kind of freaking out trust me. They did blood work, xray, fecal test, and a round of Panacur and i took some omnivore home.
I'm predicting 500$ for amputation. i live in the Bay Area which always comes with a pretty price. Sucks but this is where i live.
Norman is with me now and i feel he's very alert and seems like he's not in to much pain. the only thing he's been eating is blueberries. i have arugula which he usually loves, but lately no interest. just blueberries

108289-1259518378.jpg

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3m8te984 said:
Oh dear limit the blueberries --- too much sugar --- that can cause diabetes - fruit should be limited -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie
i get that. i'm trying everything green and he wants nothing. i could try making a green smoothie and syringe feed him which im now good at since i had to syringe feed him for a month.

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
adventureswithnorman":3leye5yr said:
KarrieRee":3leye5yr said:
Oh dear limit the blueberries --- too much sugar --- that can cause diabetes - fruit should be limited -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie
i get that. i'm trying everything green and he wants nothing. i could try making a green smoothie and syringe feed him which im now good at since i had to syringe feed him for a month.
he stopped eating greens about 5 days ago. and i've given him maybe 5 blueberries a day.

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35v5nz4e said:
No the stopped eating part
Karrie
yes i'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But like i said he's been antibiotic free for 6 days and this all of a sudden happened. He's not eating normally and now i'm dealing with the cricket hole and tail rot. Hes 5+ and wondering if he's getting old and slowing down :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
At 5 yrs. old he's in the prime of life, not old at all. They are not always as active as a young dragon but that's normal. His lethargy + appetite loss would be from the R.I. + treatment. He is hefty so it's O.K. if he loses some weight but you don't want him to stop eating altogether.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Overall, he looks good, but probably is a little lethargic if there is an infection in his tail.
Maybe the end of his tail didn't shed right & constricted it which caused the problems.
The hole should eventually fill in once the infection clears up. Keep using the raw honey
on that area, too since it really helps out with infection.
I hope he gets to feeling better. Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
Drache613":ojttjrn5 said:
Hello,

Overall, he looks good, but probably is a little lethargic if there is an infection in his tail.
Maybe the end of his tail didn't shed right & constricted it which caused the problems.
The hole should eventually fill in once the infection clears up. Keep using the raw honey
on that area, too since it really helps out with infection.

Tracie
Thank you! I’m calling the vet to hopefully get in today. Will follow up and let you know her suggestion :)
I appreciate all the support and advise.

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
Drache613":oe1bjzso said:
Hello,

Tracie
I went to the vet yesterday and she said that the hole was not from the cricket, but from the infection in the tail and it was a gland that is draining the infection. And i did look at a picture from the day before and the hole got bigger and longer and there was no cricket in the tank. so maybe that made sense? she said if the hole was there first it would make sense it was the cricket.
And now we have an appointment on thursday to amputate the tail :( but i think he'll look even cuter. Not sure if this seems high, but the amputation will cost me 600$. :shock:

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2sukgud9 said:
Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Karrie
yeah i feel where i live they charge an arm and a leg. And its not just here its all over the county.
what would this go for where you live?
this was my bill for yesterdays visit!
108289-8658769764.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't know but I do have a really good vet - few years ago I spent almost $500 on mine trying to figure out why was not eating - turns out there was nothing wrong w/ him - all kinds of test x-rays you name it he was healthy it was just him he wasn't losing weight -- one day he just started eating again - he's not a big eater-- so I just keep an eye on his weight- I will find out about a amputation tho I am gonna take mine to the vet in July for a well check---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom