please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFR777

Please don't troll to hard as I'm new to using forums and have only posted one other time. Here's the deal. I spent months researching for my new beardie. First I ordered a uvb all in one mercury bulb. Then upon reading lots, decided to get an arcadia uvb tube t5 and a heat lamp instead. Yesterday got my dragon. Temps were all good. then at night turned off my lights. This morning I went to turn on the lights. The heat lamp is fine. The uvb bulb flickered as I turend the dial on. It then won't turn on. I tried reinserting the bulb, putting the bulb in different sockets, nothing. I was waiting to return my UVB heat bulb. It took Reptiles R us THREE weeks to get me my uvb bulb. What should I do? Should I put the mercury all in one bulb in and just wait for the arcadia bulb to be replaced? my dragon's name is Sarge, he's two months old and a few days and he is in a 36 x 18 x 18 enclosure. Thanks in advance for your help. If any experts can help, myself and my daughter would appreciate it. My email is [email protected]. Thanks in advance from BC canada

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's too bad the bulb may have failed so quickly. They are usually very high quality. Sometimes they can take a bit of fussing to snap into place properly so try fidgeting with it a bit more and see if it will come back on. It's possibly an issue with the ballast/fixture but that's hard to say. Do you have any other plain T5 bulbs around that you could test with? If not, that's OK for now. The MVB should do the trick. The issue with them is usually that it's difficult to adjust the temperatures while keeping the bulb in range to produce proper UVB. Which model and wattage do you have? If it's a familiar model I can usually give you a good approximation for the necessary distance.

JFR777

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3231o924 said:
That's too bad the bulb may have failed so quickly. They are usually very high quality. Sometimes they can take a bit of fussing to snap into place properly so try fidgeting with it a bit more and see if it will come back on. It's possibly an issue with the ballast/fixture but that's hard to say. Do you have any other plain T5 bulbs around that you could test with? If not, that's OK for now. The MVB should do the trick. The issue with them is usually that it's difficult to adjust the temperatures while keeping the bulb in range to produce proper UVB. Which model and wattage do you have? If it's a familiar model I can usually give you a good approximation for the necessary distance.
thank you for the reply. I put the mvb and dont havs another t 5. I did fidget but didnt make a difference. I'll get them to send me another one. I've got the exo terra mvb 80 watt and have it on the screen and it seems to be ar a good temperature.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have test results for the Exo Terra Solar Glo 80w, but based on output results from the 125 and 160, I'd guess that you will want it in the 8-12''/20-30cm range for proper UVB exposure. A screen top will intercept UVB and reduce these optimal distances so if you can hang the light without anything interfering that would be ideal. Otherwise I would try elevating at least part of the basking area or a branch to offer closer access.

JFR777

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3nx741x3 said:
I don't have test results for the Exo Terra Solar Glo 80w, but based on output results from the 125 and 160, I'd guess that you will want it in the 8-12''/20-30cm range for proper UVB exposure. A screen top will intercept UVB and reduce these optimal distances so if you can hang the light without anything interfering that would be ideal. Otherwise I would try elevating at least part of the basking area or a branch to offer closer access.

The lighting seems okay. I have a high cave with a stick that elevates higher. He seems to prefer being on the rock cave versus the stick. The temps have been getting up to 95 on the rock. I can't take the top off as he is a climber and climbs to the top

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK good. As long as options are available like what you have, just go by how he reacts to the lighting. His response and behavior is the most important factor.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Its unfortunate that you can never really tell when a bulb is going to go. Even with good packing shipping can be rough on them. Personally I always try to keep a spare for every UVB and basking bulb on hand. ( I have 6 beardies so if they all went out it could be a nightmare getting replacements quick.) Your mercury vapor will work in the meantime, just keep an eye on temps and general behavior for anything out of the ordinary. And a tip if you do get spares you want to test them just to be sure they haven't arrived with any issues, even the best companies cant guarantee shipping wont be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom