I accidentally gave my son's beardie too much Baytril!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellst

Original Poster
108452-4102485045.jpg
108452-8901164853.jpg
108452-1552149859.jpg
108452-7798978141.jpg

It was really for me to get good pics of it. I had a video but it wouldn’t load. I’m not sure if you can see it in there...it actually has red and blue veins running through it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Record on youtube then post the link -- it looks an insect but we need for Tracie and AHBD look at it and see what they think --- what are you feeding for insects?
Karrie

tellst

Original Poster
Ok, I’ll do that tomorrow. She’s only had live super worms for years. Supplemented w veggies, fruits, zoomed foods, etc. I was wondering if a superwoman bit her throat or something.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Possibly -- I would look at getting a regular staple feeder like dubia roaches crickets silk worms --- super worms are not a staple feeder and should only be fed as treats-- she may have one stuck in her throat -- I dont know I am having AHBD and Tracie look ---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Interesting, how long has that area been dark like that?
Does she seem to be having any trouble breathing at all, or not?
Supers are fine, but some variety is always good though! It is a possibility she could
have been bitten, but not sure.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
108452-8577038590.jpg
I’m not sure how long it’s been that way. We noticed it a week ago today, I took her to the vet the next but she didn’t know what it was either. We were hoping it’d get better w the antibiotic but it doesn’t seem to be going down. She doesn’t seem to have trouble breathing...she has her mouth closed most of the time. She seems to be able to swallow her medicine and the slurry I’m feeding her just fine. Just doesn’t seem to want to eat in her own. I’m guessing I’ll have to take her to the animal hospital and have her sedated it I’m to find out anything new. It’s so awful looking....I’m not finding anything like it anywhere else. I’ll try to get a you tube video of it later when I give her her medicine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very odd. Let me try to see if I can find any type of throat pictures in my medical
books, ok & I'll get back with you. There has to be something there, or at least something
causing that. Was it there previously before the baytril?
I am wondering if a bug bit her on the back of the throat causing some inflammation or an
abscess? Could that be a possibility at all?

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
Tracie,
I’m not sure if it was there before the Baytril. I’m not sure if the original vet looked in her mouth or just at the lump in her beard. It is a possibility that a super worm bit her. My son had tried hand feeding them to her a week or so ago. I’m wondering if one was placed in her mouth and it bit her before she chewed it.
Thank you for your continued help!
Steph

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening?
I know it's just about impossible to know for sure when that area began looking that way. I do
think it is possible it is a trauma. I have started reading, but still have a bit more to look over.
I think it points to trauma or injury. If it isn't getting larger then it probably wont be an abscess,
but with reptiles you simply can't rule anything out until everything is looked at.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
She looks pretty happy to me. She’s been much lighter the last few days and has started climbing in things in her cage again. That gives me hope! The lump in her beard is still there although I do think it has gotten smaller. I just wish she could tell me what happened...I really do appreciate your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
From what I have been reading on is essentially everything we have pretty much covered.
Cancer is also mentioned, but, I don't think that is the case however, since you said that the
area was becoming less swollen.
Are you still giving any antibiotics? You could also try giving some raw, unpasteurized honey
daily to help with fighting bacteria in case there is some infection from trauma.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

tellst":1ctzudgu said:
I made an appointment for her to see the vet tomorrow...but I’m not feeling very hopeful. Today she opened her mouth wide and my son noticed something inside her throat. We didn’t want to fuss with her too much but it definitely looks like there is something large in there, which is I’m assuming is why she’s had her mouth open a lot more than normal. I think she’s trying to breathe. Also explains why she’s not eating or drinking. I’m doing research to see if I can figure out what it is. Poor girl just wants to sleep and be left alone. I think everytime we picked her up we were inadvertently making it harder for her to breathe. ?. I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

What happened?

tellst

Original Poster
NorbertTheBeard- she still had both the lump in her beard and the gross one in her throat. I’ve been giving her the antibiotic and giving her fluids and yogurt with the syringe. The last vet I took her took her to didn’t know what either was, so we were trying the antibiotic. I am taking her to another vet hospital tomorrow to see if they have any idea. I’m not feeling very hopeful about the one in her throat. I’ll post here once I have news.

tellst":3w52926x said:
NorbertTheBeard- she still had both the lump in her beard and the gross one in her throat. I’ve been giving her the antibiotic and giving her fluids and yogurt with the syringe. The last vet I took her took her to didn’t know what either was, so we were trying the antibiotic. I am taking her to another vet hospital tomorrow to see if they have any idea. I’m not feeling very hopeful about the one in her throat. I’ll post here once I have news.

Sorry, this was a while ago. How is she doing? I hope she is doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom