I accidentally gave my son's beardie too much Baytril!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you get the T 8 in the tank? The screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays --- also the log /stick you have in your tank if you take lay it w/ the long piece thats sticking up so its on the floor and the fat trunk it would make a good gradient heat for her -- she can lay stand or sit on it -- also make sure there is NO plastic cover over the bulb and basking decor piece 6-8 inches from it
Karrie

tellst

Original Poster
I was able to open her screen enough for the light to shine right on her w no interference. I moved things around so she can get closer to it. She used to climb up her highest tree and was right under it...but she hasn’t done that in a bit. Thank you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, still improving I hope?
I hope that she starts to become more active & does more climbing & moving around.
The light should hit her more directly now, with you cutting a hole in the screen for her.
You are now using the Reptisun 10 T8 tube?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
Tracie,
Yes, I am still using the T8. Waiting impatiently for the T5 HO hood to show up! Just to be clear...when I get that one it can go on top of of the screen? Or should I not use any screen at all? I took her to the vet today but they really don’t know what’s going on w her. They saw the lump in her throat but in order to take a sample she would need to be completely sedated. The vet gave me Septra to give Dumpy twice a day to see if it is an infection that’ll go down. She also have me two referrals for animal hospitals I can take her too that is equipped to sedate her if that is what I choose to do. I’m definitely leaning that way although I know it is risky to have her sedated and a sample taken because the vet said beardie’s throats bleed a lot.
108452-5458057909.jpg
. She seemed to be in good spirits after the visit...she’s dark but has looked worse over the last couple of weeks. And because of the awesome care my son and his girlfriend gave her she actually gained a little bit of weight instead of losing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It can go on top of the screen - your basking decor should be 8-10 inches directly under it --- now there seems to be issues w/ the thickness of screens - how thick is the screen on top of your tank - I am thinking if the screen is too thick it should go inside -also the holes of the screen is it a wide holed or tiny holed screen? I am glad you found a good competent vet -
Karrie

tellst

Original Poster
The holes are rather small. I have no problem hanging the light inside if that’s what is best. I just wish I had known to do this years ago! I feel like I failed both of my sons’ beardies by not knowing!

tellst

Original Poster
Could mouth rot be causing the lump in her throat? I should’ve asked the vet to take a pic but I didn’t. She doesn’t keep her mouth open long enough for me to get a pic. I don’t want to force it open because I don’t want to hurt her. The T5 lamp and hood arrived today so that is all set up now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so where is the T 5 ? top of tank or inside the tank? Placement and distance play key factor here
Have someone hold her mouth open if you can and get a pic -- it shouldnt hurt her I wouldnt think -
Karrie

tellst

Original Poster
108452-7988855280.jpg
108452-3057485977.jpg
It is on top of the cage, but the mesh is open so there is nothing blocking it. She used to climb on that high tree, but hasn’t in a bit, because she’s not feeling well. Also, the basking light is 150W. She used to have a heat pad under her cage but my son read that wasn’t good so he took it out. I’m using a laser thermometer to determine the temps...but it seems to vary how far I have the thermometer from the item. For example, if I try to take the temp of her back The top of the cage...and then down closer to her it’s two different temps. How do I know what’s right? I’m the only one home right now so I can’t get her mouth open...hopefully will be able to tomorrow. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Laser gun should be approx 2-4 inches from basking decor inside the tank -- good no heat pads under the tank and 150 watt bulb may be too hot -- please get a temp either placing the digital probe thermometer on her basking spot and leaving for 10 minutes or infrared heat gun -- my guess that top of the stick is way to hot w/ a 150 watt bulb --- you dont want to burn her up
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take the stick part of the decor piece under the basking light and lay it down so its on the floor of the tank - your big trunk piece will be a good place for him to lay on
97951-1422837680.jpg
here is the same piece in my tank
Karrie

tellst

Original Poster
Ahh! Ok! You did mention laying the stick down before...but I thought it was a different stick. I’ll take temps tomorrow the way you suggested, and I’ll lay that stick down. Do you think the T5 is ok where it is? We’ve had her for 7 years and I’m still doing the wrong things and learning!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
W/ no screen blocking the UVB you want distance 12-15 inches from decor piece sitting directly underneath
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":1lh94sr9 said:
Take the stick part of the decor piece under the basking light and lay it down so its on the floor of the tank - your big trunk piece will be a good place for him to lay on
97951-1422837680.jpg
here is the same piece in my tank
Karrie

Your beardie has a wood floor? That’s one luxurious lizard ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's ceramic tile - and thank you he's a year old - he's a red tranluscent / wiblit
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom