Suggestion: We Should Do a YouTube Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
This forum is so full of great advice, and the Internet is so full of conflicting advice, that I think we should think about starting a BeardedDragon.org YouTube channel. Start off slow, just making a video version of the care guides - what to buy, how to set up a tank, what to feed - and eventually branch out into other topics. We'd need someone video-savvy who wouldn't mind being the "face" of the forum... someone with a good setup as a model... but it might be fun, and good PR, for the group.

Just a thought. :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think this site needs more exposure and you tube would definitely help--- too many people going to the wrong sites for help --
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
I actually have been working on a personal Youtube account focusing on animal husbandry and focusing on analysing different care recomendation sources. I planned on doing a video recommending this site to people once I got a little more established and started actually focusing on animal care (at this point I'm just working on learning how to edit, which I am not good at, and I am honestly quite ashamed of my channel at this point haha).

It would be really neat, though, to have some kind of quality oversight moderator or moderators and a community channel multiple users could submit to.

EDIT: Explaining a little further - What I had hoped to do would essentially be book and care guide reviews focusing on essentially the resources people might immediately be led too. Essentially, what are the first 5 or so book under $30 I get searching "Bearded Dragon" that a parent or relative might get for their kiddo with their new pet. So far, of the 4 books I've read and started writing scripts for reviewing, two were awful, one was great, and one was unremarkable (not good, but nothing that was likely result in death or injury of BD). I'm honestly a little shocked how bad the care books available are - I also read a lot of ball python books for this project and one book published in 2017 mostly had husbandry information based on what was recommended in the 1990s and treated. :shock:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ellentomologist":2fv903cp said:
I actually have been working on a personal Youtube account focusing on animal husbandry and focusing on analysing different care recomendation sources. I planned on doing a video recommending this site to people once I got a little more established and started actually focusing on animal care (at this point I'm just working on learning how to edit, which I am not good at, and I am honestly quite ashamed of my channel at this point haha).

It would be really neat, though, to have some kind of quality oversight moderator or moderators and a community channel multiple users could submit to.

EDIT: Explaining a little further - What I had hoped to do would essentially be book and care guide reviews focusing on essentially the resources people might immediately be led too. Essentially, what are the first 5 or so book under $30 I get searching "Bearded Dragon" that a parent or relative might get for their kiddo with their new pet. So far, of the 4 books I've read and started writing scripts for reviewing, two were awful, one was great, and one was unremarkable (not good, but nothing that was likely result in death or injury of BD). I'm honestly a little shocked how bad the care books available are - I also read a lot of ball python books for this project and one book published in 2017 mostly had husbandry information based on what was recommended in the 1990s and treated. :shock:

I think your video project sounds great! You're right - there are some alarmingly bad care guides out there, and it's a wonder that anyone manages to keep their critters healthy with that sort of info lying about. Even some of the "care guides" on YouTube are rubbish. Where do these people GET their info!?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I'm not really an on camera type, but I do have great machines and setup for editing of any videos. Maybe voice over and explain good setups like UVB requirements and feeders and such but I'm just not one that likes to be shown in the videos.

I would be willing to write out some script ideas and do some editing if there is interest some a group that would like to do the recordings. I can advise on some equipment that doesn't break the bank but will help produce good results as well. Most decent 1080p or better cameras at a good frame rate will do fine, but good audio is a bit trickier, camera audio or improper microphones just wont have a quality that makes people want to watch despite the good info. If it does become popular though any monetization could be put into the equipment (paying off those who invested in it to start, then possibly better equipment to truly grow a great channel for knowledge).

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Draven88":315qlnvl said:
I'm not really an on camera type, but I do have great machines and setup for editing of any videos. Maybe voice over and explain good setups like UVB requirements and feeders and such but I'm just not one that likes to be shown in the videos.

I would be willing to write out some script ideas and do some editing if there is interest some a group that would like to do the recordings. I can advise on some equipment that doesn't break the bank but will help produce good results as well. Most decent 1080p or better cameras at a good frame rate will do fine, but good audio is a bit trickier, camera audio or improper microphones just wont have a quality that makes people want to watch despite the good info. If it does become popular though any monetization could be put into the equipment (paying off those who invested in it to start, then possibly better equipment to truly grow a great channel for knowledge).

I think a voiceover video would be just fine if nobody is interested in being on camera (heaven knows I'm not! :lol: ) - we could focus on pictures of the equipment for the "What to Buy Instead of a Starter Kit" video, and pics of the different veggies and Beardies nomming on them for the "What to Feed" video. It's a shame we don't have a pleasant, charismatic face of the forum, though... so much of success on YouTube seems to be people clicking with the personalities of the hosts, rather than the info itself... maybe we could make a Beardie the host, and have someone voice what the Beardie is thinking?

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Loving all these ideas! I'm too new to feel like I can contribute much, but definitely support it!

Ahem, Brandon?
Seems like someone who would be good on camera. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom