Long Car Rides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

In about a week, I will be having to take a 4 and a half hour drive with my bearded dragon. I got her at the end of March this year when she was only a few weeks old, so she is only a few months old now. I have concerns about a car ride this long without proper lighting. I will have heating pads for her to keep her warm, however I have been researching and some suggest not to feed your bearded dragon for the entire day before to avoid impaction. I understand this is very reasonable to do with adult bearded dragons, but I wanted to get an opinion on if this is the best approach for one much younger like mine. Thank you in advance for any help or tips you might be able to share!

Laura

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I take my dragon on car rides all the time. 5-6hrs is routine and he has gone on trips several days long without issue. It helps to have a carrier you can strap into the seat like this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/ but a box with a towel or blanket will work too in a pinch. Bring lighting with you using a clamp lamp or adjustable stand so you can set it up when you get where you're going. Don't worry about lights on the ride itself. They do just fine at normal car temps. You can stop at a rest area for some sunlight if it's nice out. It's good to have some paper towels, a spray bottle of vinegar, and some F10 or other sanitizer on hand for messes. Wet wipes can be helpful too. Just keep her secure and in a comfortable spot and she should be OK. You can do some short test drives around town to see how she reacts in the car in general.

laurahill749

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3hba3qel said:
I take my dragon on car rides all the time. 5-6hrs is routine and he has gone on trips several days long without issue. It helps to have a carrier you can strap into the seat like this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/ but a box with a towel or blanket will work too in a pinch. Bring lighting with you using a clamp lamp or adjustable stand so you can set it up when you get where you're going. Don't worry about lights on the ride itself. They do just fine at normal car temps. You can stop at a rest area for some sunlight if it's nice out. It's good to have some paper towels, a spray bottle of vinegar, and some F10 or other sanitizer on hand for messes. Wet wipes can be helpful too. Just keep her secure and in a comfortable spot and she should be OK. You can do some short test drives around town to see how she reacts in the car in general.

Thank you so much for your advice! This is all very helpful information. She has been on car rides, but only max of one hour. I was just worried this might be too big of a trip for her, but it is kind of my only option; your reply made me feel more at ease so thank you very much!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she has been OK on short trips she will likely be just fine on longer trips. Prep to keep her secure and have cleaning supplies on hand but otherwise don't worry about it and have fun =)

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I have a 15 hour trip coming up and plan to just keep her in the dark so she sleeps during the ride. My cockatiel on the other hand is annoying to travel with because she wants out of her cage and starts screaming if you don’t let her out, but I keep her in her cage for her safety. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom