Egg binding/Quack vet/I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Just out of curiosity, where did you get her from? You might be able to find out more from the breeder if you got her from a breeder and her relatives had similar conditions.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, Poor Evee, I am so sorry about all of the problems!
I agree that the leatherbacks don't usually have trouble but a lot of hypo trans, etc do
seem to have some. It is due to the breeders inbreeding though & there are very few
breeders like AHBD who actually did ethical breeding. Inbreeding decreases health,
longevity & immune system function.
Peritonitis can happen to any of the females, regular morph, or other, it is just bad luck
unfortunately. They hide illness so well that we have no idea they are sick until it's late
in the game.
Definitely try to get a copy of the blood tests & x-ray if possible. If you can, try to get extra
oral fluids into her daily since she will be on medications, too. She looks alert in the pictures
which is a good sign.
How did the injection go for you?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":36f324g7 said:
Yeah, poor little Evee and she's still posing like a pretty girl. How much of the food mixture can you get in her right now ? Will she show interest in any type of insect ? Hornworm, cricket, dubia ? I forgot if she's getting Critical Care formula from the vet. Try adding a bit of raw, unpasteurized honey to any mixture that you give her.

Lol.. shes beautiful and she knows it.. so spoiled too.. got unicorn and princess blankies lining her house..mom waiting on her hand and foot..Feels like she's an old lady who's gonna fall and break her hip. Ugh. Yes she gets critical care..she's doing better on it.. try to get her to eat 5-6mls a day.. I have been offering dubias and greens daily as well.. no luck. She will follow the dubias with her eyes for a min but doesn't follow through. I've tried opening her lip and sticking a baby roach in. She will eat itif she can't force it to fall out opening her mouth. But seems like she's chewing them strange.. almost like she's grinding her teeth.. could be she's doing it spitefully.. lol.. maybe telling me she's mad about it.. or her jaw is hurting her.. hope it's not.. I'll go get some honey.. what exactly does the honey do? I saw appetite stimulant at the pet store.. but wasn't so sure about that

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahh!! I'm having trouble with the baytril injection.. firstly she's on baytril and metronidazole..Dr called and said to give her baytril every other day instead of every day.. her dosing days synced up and today is a day she's supposed to take both.. is it safe to give both on same day?

Also.. I can't seem to give her the injection. The tech told me to use one of her back wrinkles.. go behind a scale.. etc. I know how to do it . It just seems like i have to try too hard to get it to break through the skin..and it's hurting her too much!! Tried to give it while she was asleep last night.. she ended up sleeping standing up bc I poked her and made her flinch 3 different times.. this is stupid..I have to give her meds.. especially the baytril!! is there a better place that's easier to get the needle in than her back where she's so sensitive? I have watched videos it was hard to tell exactly but it looked like they were giving the injection in the loose skin around the armpit? Would that be better? Noticed her scale turned black where I tried.. her back scales r so small being a leatherback.. makes it even harder. ugh poor girl I'm putting her thru extra stress. I feel stupid not being able to do this.. really wish it was orally

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The injections can be really tough. Their skin is surprisingly thick so quick force enough to break through under a scale but not too much to continue much further is needed. It takes practice and you eventually go by feel. They really don't like it (understandably) so it is tough. When I've given meds by injection, I alternated arms and legs. I usually went for the defined upper portion of each limb to provide the most muscle to target. Wrapping them up in a towel or blanket to help immobilize them a bit can be helpful. The injection should be fast and once you've broken through under the scale it takes a little patience to slowly and steadily inject the meds. pushing the meds through too quickly can cause it to come back out. I used to inject, wait a beat, slowly release the meds, then remove the needle. Alternating which limb you do this on will help prevent bruising and soreness to an extent. I have not tried this with a leatherback so you may have more trouble getting in under a scale.

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1xdkjmei said:
The injections can be really tough. Their skin is surprisingly thick so quick force enough to break through under a scale but not too much to continue much further is needed. It takes practice and you eventually go by feel. They really don't like it (understandably) so it is tough. When I've given meds by injection, I alternated arms and legs. I usually went for the defined upper portion of each limb to provide the most muscle to target. Wrapping them up in a towel or blanket to help immobilize them a bit can be helpful. The injection should be fast and once you've broken through under the scale it takes a little patience to slowly and steadily inject the meds. pushing the meds through too quickly can cause it to come back out. I used to inject, wait a beat, slowly release the meds, then remove the needle. Alternating which limb you do this on will help prevent bruising and soreness to an extent. I have not tried this with a leatherback so you may have more trouble getting in under a scale.

Also it's supposed to b a subcutaneous injection, not intermuscular.. so idk if the area is supposed to be different. And I'm sure alot of it is me not wanting to hurt my baby.. she's just so sick and brittle it's making it harder.. I'll try putting feelings aside.. this is life saving medication she has to have

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah ok that is a different beast. I haven't given those but from what I've seen (in cases of saline injections to hydrate rescues) they do tend to be offered along the back.

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2m5hkr8k said:
Ah ok that is a different beast. I haven't given those but from what I've seen (in cases of saline injections to hydrate rescues) they do tend to be offered along the back.

Yea.. the vet tech told me pinch skin on her back to put it in. With her being sick n dehydrated don't really need to pinch she's got wrinkles ready to go.. it just seems like such a bad spot.. her scales r so small. I was wondering if there was a secret spot that is easier than others.. lol because I'd like to be initiated to the secret beardie shot spot club.. well damn. I think I'm gonna try near her shoulder/armpit next looks like a thin loose area.. God idk y it has to b by injection..especially bc this baytril crap can cause absesses

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also important I'm not sure how safe it is giving both her meds in one day.im not even sure y he put her on the metronidazole.. I looked it up and it's for parasites???

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah Metronidazole is often used to treat parasites but is an antibiotic. It may have been determined to be effective against a specific bacterial infection but since they didn't do a culture it's a guess. They Baytril/enrofloxacin is a broad spectrum antibiotic but can be rough in itself. It could be more rough administering both meds, but double check with the vet. I usually try for less being more, but I certainly don't want to second guess a trained professional without reason. Since the blood test came back without indicating a general infection I would be wary about offering so many meds. It might be worth checking with the vet about an oral version of the antibiotics rather than the injections. My thinking is that the stress of the injections may offset benefits from the antibiotic in terms of overall health. Again this is my non-trained opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but don't be afraid to question what is going on, especially given her fragile condition and your experiences with this vet so far.

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
100664-4432517542.jpg

After her first meal n a month.. gave some beard stretches.. then I caught this amazing yawn on camera!! Lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, now that is quite a yawn there. LOL So she ate her waxworms?
I hope she is doing better bless her.
You can just lift up the skin to put the needle right underneath of the skin for giving
subcutaneous fluids. If you are giving Baytril, I recommend giving in the upper arm
area, rotating back & forth to help avoid brusing from giving in the same site every
time.
Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok yesterday was a good day.. today back to the usual.. I figured it's bc she ate pretty much last night and needs to poo before she will wanna eat again. Not sure if I've mentioned I really think she's got 1 more egg in there somewhere. While taking her bath I've been running a finger down her belly the past few days.. and there is forsure a hard circle right in the middle of her belly. Weird tht it feels so hard when all her eggs have been squishy. ..

Anyway.. she finally pooped.. her poor lil bad leg was shaking as she pushed.. I really think the poop was actually eggs that went bad and she finally passed.. idk of they can pass eggs after they rot when they get peritonitis.. not sure how it works.. but her poop looked like a yellowish brown then a greenish brown egg shaped ball of goo encased in mucus. This time looked like 3 total came out..
The part that is scaring me is the urates.. I dissected it and glad I did bc I knew something wasn't right.. here's some pics.. sry... It's gross..

100664-4429895585.jpg
100664-5486468603.jpg
Even the urates r partly encased in the mucus.. but here what was inside urates.. tye first thing I thought was they look like eggs from a parasite or something.. couldn't find much on Google besides maybe too much calcium, or something about gout/renal failure.. o God.. these lil things were hard as rocks!!!! Kidney stones?? Idk!!
100664-4573543053.jpg
100664-4393102340.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom