Sick beardie. Has "allergies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
It sounds like he’s getting better, but in the future if you have a sick pet with an infection who you cannot afford to give medical treatment to, “letting nature take its course” is very neglectful and is super painful for the animal. As someone who gets infections all the time, I can speak from experience that having my tissues being digested by microbes is the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I can’t even imagine having to wait weeks for that to kill me.
If it came to it in the future, I’d beg you to consider surrendering him so he can get the treatment he deserves. It’s the worst to have to surrender a pet, but it’s even worse to make an animal suffer like that.

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2d7cpmnz said:
Hopefully Tracie will post tonite- I would keep him hydrated- and yes I would not give anymore vitamins if he threw them up and w/ him puking you want to keep him hydrated- did you ever try the honey?
Karrie
I did not put the honey on his ear because I figured it would be better to just not touch it, do you think I should do it? The swelling has gone down a pretty much all the way but there is still a scab on his ear. Also he only puked once and i think he just swallowed funny and they "went down the wrong pipe" so to speak because he's fine now, he has not puked since.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If it's healing now I would just watch and see how it goes- the scab is healing- let it be for now-- I am glad he's improving
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2d17thw6 said:
If it's healing now I would just watch and see how it goes- the scab is healing- let it be for now-- I am glad he's improving
Karrie
Any tips about him not eating? Should I give him more appetite stimulant ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he not eating at all? The medication will effect his eating -- are you keeping him hydrated? When was the last time he ate ? You may haft to make him a slurry of greens in your blender w/ water and either spoon food if he will eat off of a spoon or syringe feed - is he losing weight?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really great to hear that his infection seems to be going away. ! Hopefully he'll improve now and eventually get his appetite back. I know this was very stressful for you but you did a great job with him so far. :) Definitely lay off the excess vitamins, just offer the syringe fed food with a very tiny pinch of calcium powder, if any.

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3t2vi2fg said:
Is he not eating at all? The medication will effect his eating -- are you keeping him hydrated? When was the last time he ate ? You may haft to make him a slurry of greens in your blender w/ water and either spoon food if he will eat off of a spoon or syringe feed - is he losing weight?
Karrie
He is not accepting food naturally i have to "force" feed him (not really i wait until he opens his mouth) altough latley he has been looking at food as if he wants to eat it and he almost ate a blueberry on his own but just licked it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah its annoying when you want them to eat and all they do is lick--- :) ok I would get some of your greens and little fruit so it makes it a little sweet and feed him by syringe make sure it has some water in it so hes getting water too plus it will make it come out of the syringe easier if you haft to snip the end of the syringe off so it doesnt plug - just feed slowly so he does not aspirate a little at a time -- I usually have my husband help when I had to feed one of ours and he would hold and take his thumb pull down the bottom of the lip on the side and I would wedge the tip to pry the mouth open they usually do and then slowly feed -- I dont know when the last time he ate but he does need to be hydrated - I would feed him around a ML of slurry and do that maybe a couple of times a day -- but I would also offer him food too to see if he will eat on his own
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah it does look a little swollen- I would call your vet and tell them what your seeing and go from there-- what antibiotic did they put him on?
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jnlwwn1 said:
Yeah it does look a little swollen- I would call your vet and tell them what your seeing and go from there-- what antibiotic did they put him on?
Karrie
They gave him trazicef is there anything I can do at home about it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am gonna let Tracie respond to the antibiotic hes on -- she knows better than I so tonite when she comes on she can look at his eye too -- did you get a hold of the vet and see what they said?
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
I think the reason why his eyes are so swollen is I accidentally gave him too much vitiman A. Between the vitimans and the eye drops that have vitiman a in them. I have stopped both of these immedietly but is there anything I can do to help him other than that?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I did answer your PM also.
Which vitamin were you giving him that had vitamin A in it? I would avoid that for now, to let
his system clear out. Do you have any sterile saline solution also, to wash the eye out?
Is his ear looking better now?

Ceftz is usually a pretty good, broad spectrum antibiotic, Gentamicin or Baytril can also be
helpful, too. It depends on the type of bacteria present.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom