Baby Beardie Impacted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok good -- she will not be in that 10 or 20 gallon tank long --- you will need to upgrade that tank to the minimum of a 40 gallon here w/ in the next few months ---- we recommend a 75-120 gallon tank - so just be aware of what you need --- she will eventually outgrow the 40 gallon as well --- so I would recommend start looking for a tank that is 75- 120 gallon w/ doors that open from the front--- you can look on Craigslist for used tanks or FB marketplace --- but you are going to need to get her out of the 20 gallon -- that is why I said just move her now --
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Hello! Penny is doing much better, she is more alert and has been moving around her tank floor a bit more. She got a few drops of the liquid calcium this morning in her water and she is outside on the deck with me now for some sun. I got the new white heat bulb, as well as the digital thermometer and her basking spot is 100.2. She ate one cricket this morning, hasn’t had a solid poo in about 2 days but could be because I’m giving her mushy carrots and sweet potatoes. Called my local “odd pet vet” she has his earliest appt which isn’t until June 24th so hoping for more good healing now until then. Thank you for your help and caringness

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And the UVB did you get that placed as well and you got rid of the red bulb-- are you feeding her salads? She needs alot more to eat than 1 cricket --- I would get her some BSFL and add them to Pennys salad - they are calcium enriched so you wont need to dust them I would get medium size for her -- you can order them from here http://www.symptonbsf.com please keep us updated on her and how shes doing http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Yes no more red lights and placed the UVB inside. She won’t eat any greens since we got her we have tried and she just won’t eat it.
Like I said 1 cricket, and then mushed up carrots, apple sauce unsweet and sweet potatoes as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that sweet potato and unsweet applesauce will make her go poop --- those are natural laxatives --- if you order the BSFL I recommended it will get her to the food bowl and eating salads -- that is what you want --- they are a good compliment to her crickets-- you can also use dubia roaches as well I can give you websites to get worms and dubias off of if you would like but the BSFL are going to help her start eating salads -- you want her on those now even if shes only eating a little bit of them - as she gets older she may not take to the salads and that is not good she will need to be transitioned over to mainly salads by the time shes a year old --- also you need to start thinking of a bigger tank for her -- she will need it soon especially as she starts eating more and growing -- they grow quick
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you took out the red lights in the tank. It does need to be brighter for her.
Sometimes it takes a good amount of encouragement & patience to get them to eat their
greens & veggies. You can try putting pieces of colored bell pepper or squash in the salad
or strawberries or blueberries to see if that entices her.
I'm sure moving the UVB light to inside will help her get better UVB.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Penny Update! She is doing well, today I noticed some regained control over her right back leg. She is moving her head around looking all over and is eating 1-2 crickets per day, and some puréed carrots and apples Mixed with calcium. She eats small bits of lettuce now when I mix it in the purée also! Will update again soon :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please no lettuce- it's gonna give her really runny stools- she needs greens like mustard collard turnip or kale---- you need to feed her more protein that is her main diet-- less fruit- go to the feeding board look for the topic nutrition website- please look at the things you can feed her ignore the kale thing it's a good staple feeder--- feed Penny as many crickets as she will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame-- dust those crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week one time per feeding-- vitamins 2x per week one time feeding
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Final update on Penny from me. I made the responsible decision to allow my local reptile vet tech adopt Penny. She has 5 other beardies she has rescued and she is going to update me on her progress. She was doing better each day, but with work being open again I did not have the time to nurse her like she needs. I love my Penny girl and I was sad to see her go to a new home, but it is what’s best for her. Thanks for all of your help! Xoxo

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok its good to hear -- hopefully she will continue to progress and end up a happy healthy beardie
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom