mealworms for Rankins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinade

Hey rankins experts,
We 'accidentally' bought 100 mealworms for our 8 month old Rankins Dragon, who is about 8 inches long (a family member who doesn't really understand the different types of worms). From what I've read, meal worms are not great for rankins and may cause impactation. On the other hand, lots of people/care sheets refer to mealworms as staple food for Rankins dragons. These are supposedly 'large' meal worms, but about 3/4 inch long and pretty skinny. Are they ok to serve to our Rankins - we'd also be giving small crickets (1/4 - 3/8 inch) and veggies (she loves butternut squash, and has recently begun enjoying carrots).
Thanks very much for your advice!
kevin

TinyBlue

HI,
I can't help you but I also have one little Rankin's and I would like to know more about him. So if you don't mind, I'll stick around for more info.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
They molt they're exoskeleton frequently and you can catch them when they are all white and pure protein superworms do the same and shed and become white with no chitin/exoskeleton , if your lights and husbandry is correct is fine just make sure you have the perfect temp and not a too low temp that most people recommend do your research in that field alot of misconceptions and folklore housing that being said I wouldnt feed one that is dark and has alot of exoskelton. MAKE sure they aren't Giant Mealworms the breeders spray those with pesticides to keep them growing and prevent them from molting into the beetle which is their adult stage, How old is he and size etc? What lights do you use ?They eat pretty much what a beardie does expect things like pinkie should probably never be fed to a Pogona Minor aka Rankin dragon in any circumstance, I'd stick to moderate size hornworms nothing gigantic im not sure what heat gradient you would want for one as I know with beardies most recommend a low temp so look twice in that Avenue.

TinyBlue

Thanks but one thing only: Rankin's aren't Pogona minor, they are Pogona Henrylawsoni. As far as I know, P. Minor is a different species and not usually kept/bred in captivity (although I know of one breeder).

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
TinyBlue":10cjstzn said:
Thanks but one thing only: Rankin's aren't Pogona minor, they are Pogona Henrylawsoni. As far as I know, P. Minor is a different species and not usually kept/bred in captivity (although I know of one breeder).
yeah it is but i do not know the difference between the two mix em up easily, rankin is a pygymy bearded dragon so easy to mix it up with something named minor still dont know the diffrence between them

TinyBlue

TO be honest, neither do it! :D I just know they are two different species. I'm reading Wikipedia right now, and it seems that P. minor are actually quite big, bigger than P. Henrylawsoni anyway.

razorback

I bought a dragon after mine disappeared somehow. The "replacement" dragon was one of 4 at Petco and the most colorful and dramatically marked so he became mine. After researching I found that
he is a Rankin. The distinguishing feature is the series of dual polka dots down the back. This guy in the picture is 3 months old, VERY active, a bit skittish even after frequent handling and quite voracious. My first dragon was free range in my music room and one morning suddenly was not there. After removing every movable item from the room he remained unfound.

(time passes)

After three months I went in for some guitar practice and miraculously the missing dragon was sitting on a pillow on the floor. My response was and still is "no way" How long can one of these creatures live with no food or water?
107236-9352328144.jpg
107236-7149242321.jpg

TinyBlue

Hi,

Hey what a story! I had one who run away and returned after a month, but I live in the country and he probably had plenty to eat. It's a beautiful dragon but I don't think he's a Rankins to be honest... I'm no expert in Rankins but I've had bearded dragons for a few years now and I think the nose is the shape of a normal P. Vitticeps. P. Henrylawsoni are relatively rare and they would not have them in a pet shop by mistake, I suspect. They hace a distinct bow-tie pattern and a shorter, more rounded nose. Still, it's a besutiful dragón with a striking pattern!

razorback

TinyBlue
I have recently found (like today) that our dragons sometimes go dormant and hide for weeks at a time then reappear. There is a narrow space behind a cabinet in the closet where he may have squeezed in for such a brief hibernation. At least there now is a plausible explanation for the situation. And here I was thinking he might be a relative of Puff the "magic" dragon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, to Razorback, that's not a Rankin's [ or is the pic of the one that went missing ? ] No pet stores accidentally sell them and they are not colorful. You can post a pic of it if you like but it's 99.9 % surely not a Rankin's if you got it at Petco with the other beardies.

For Kevin, a few mealworms every other day are fine an inch or less for an 8" Rankins, but other insects should be in the diet, it shouldn't be all mealworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom