Special Needs Bearded Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

therobisons93

I have a bearded dragon, Puff the magic dragon, who has an unknown illness that caused paralysis. Puff was another PetCo rescue - they suck but she was free to a good home. When I got her, she didn't move other than flailing. The movements seem intentional but spastic. PetCo claimed to have kept her for two months and taken her to a vet with a clean bill of health. I also took her to the vet who found no parasites and no adenovirus. The next step will be some x-rays!

In the mean time! I'm looking for tips on care. All of her limbs pretty much move hyperextended. She can't eat or drink (even off the tip of her snout) on her own. Currently, I feed her a liquid and jelly Repashy diet. I've done research and asked two vets but no one seems to have good tips on better care for her. I'm looking for suggestions from people familiar with special needs dragons about feeding schedules, less forceful/invasive feeding, physical therapy (silly but it has already helped her a lot lol), and other care tips!

Edit: I currently feed her via syringe and by hand. She is unable to do more than open her mouth - as far as feeding responses go. I've tried insects - moving, moving and incapacitated, and smoothed- she can't eat them on her own. I also did a slurry before she started Rapashy.

Video: https://vm.tiktok.com/o2SYWW/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your going to need to get some advice from AHBD and Tracie the vet moderator- they can help you get her set up w/ some tips -- please post some pics of her so they can see her --- poor baby and bless you for taking her in --- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear about the poor little one. Can you post a few pics of him/her and even a video if possible ? A video can be posted to youtube if need be, then here. To post pictures :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Try to get him to eat insects by smashing one until the guts come out a bit, then rub it very gently on your baby's nose. Sometimes that works or you can disable an insect so that it squirms or hobbles right near the baby and he can [ maybe ] grab it up.

The problem you describe is almost certainly neurological and xrays won't really be of any benefit.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little sweetie, it's definitely neurological. Just be sure to provide good uvb right from the start to help with any possible MBD or calcium deficiency. Keep the climbing areas very low or non existent, maybe just one flat rock and a small piece of flat wood. Check on him often to be sure he's not flipped over. At least he has a lot of energy in terms of flailing which can help him right himself if he flops over. You're doing a good job otherwise, keep up the good work. :) I wouldn't waste money on an Xray , that won't do anything for his condition.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, he is super tiny & so young to have such extensive problems.
No adeno was found, really? That is quite surprising.
Can you review your setup, the lighting, etc for him? Since he is from a petstore that
probably had poor care, my guess would be extremely low calcium reserves along with
malnutrition or possible injury perhaps. I would lean more towards metabolic bone as
that will cause severe neurological issues.
It's also possible that his mother might have been low in calcium when she laid her eggs
which would have passed on poor nutrition to her offspring, too.
Which repashy do you use, does it have calcium?
Unfortunately, he is too light to have a blood test done right now. Process of elimination
is all we can do at the moment. I agree, physical therapy in water can help build up his
strength & coordination so continue with that.
Bless him. I hope that he will improve for you!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom