Sick beardie. Has "allergies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The vet needs to prescribe antibiotics--- try the saline solution as suggested for the eye - the only thing thats gonna clear the ear infection up is antibiotics- you can try PMing Tracie and see what she suggests but you probably wont hear from her till tonite --- and if your vet appt is tomorrow you might as well wait- I dont even know what to tell you to give for pain relief -- it looks like Baytril is commonly prescribed for ear infections - but your going to need the weight of the dragon and then it will need to be calculated for dosage -- I would wait and see what is prescribed by the vet and then they can give you dosage details -- I know hes in pain and I wish I could help but for now I would wait and get his lighting fixed --- hes got 2 strikes against him w/ what you have been using --- if you need more help w/ the lighting please ask --- do not get a fixture the same length of the tank --- if you have a 40 gallon tank a 24" fixture would be good
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can put raw honey in his ear but you have to be absolutely certain there are no crickets or other insects hiding in the tank that would go after the honey and his ear. Just dab it in VERY lightly with a Q-tip. Poor little guy, hope he's feeling better soon !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Were you able to get some honey on & around the ear areas?
For common infections, you will probably need a broad spectrum antibiotics to help clear
up a respiratory infection or ear infection. Ceftz is routinely used as well, so the vet can
either do a culture to see if he can isolate any specific bacteria that is present.
Are his eyes doing any better today?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his immune system.

Tracie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
Drache613":2ree2pkn said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Were you able to get some honey on & around the ear areas?
For common infections, you will probably need a broad spectrum antibiotics to help clear
up a respiratory infection or ear infection. Ceftz is routinely used as well, so the vet can
either do a culture to see if he can isolate any specific bacteria that is present.
Are his eyes doing any better today?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his immune system.

Tracie
(Posted this on the wrong thread oops)
I just got back from the vet and got some antibiotics in him. The vet was very rude to me and clearly did not understand my situation. Just to get to the vet and get these antibiotics i had to spend a lot of money i don't have. She talked about him possibly needing surgery and coming back to the vet office (which is an hour away) weekly. Which I absolutely do not have anywhere enough money to do either of those. I probably wouldn't have the money even if there was not a global pandemic. I have 4 more doses of antibiotics and i am giving him vitimans and lots of love and doing all i can but if he doesn't get any better after the antibiotics as much as i hate to say it I am just going to have to let nature take its course. Please send hopes/prayers/good vibes and any advise would be appreciated. Thank you all for your help

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
His ear is full of blood or some kind of fluid at the moment . he is on antibiotics to help right now but should I do anything else to help him while I wait for them to work? Should I still put honey on his ear or possibly try to drain the fluid out if his ear? (Probably not but worth asking)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tracie Drache613 is a vet --- PM her -- she can maybe prescribe something for him or send something for him -- evidently the vet gave you no pain killer for him--------------
here is a website for you to find another vet - I dont know if this is a regular vet you see or what but if they are going to be rude I would look for another vet
www.arav.org
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1kiuhero said:
Tracie Drache613 is a vet --- PM her -- she can maybe prescribe something for him or send something for him -- evidently the vet gave you no pain killer for him--------------
here is a website for you to find another vet - I dont know if this is a regular vet you see or what but if they are going to be rude I would look for another vet
http://www.arav.org
Karrie
I don't have the money for another vet so I am going to have to hope the antibiotics work. Im wondering if there is anything I can do to help his ear or if I should just wait

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would keep up w/ the antibiotics you have and contact Tracie - shes another vet - see what she recommends you do
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,,

Which antibiotics are you giving to him, do you have the name of it? Be sure to give
probiotics for him because the antibiotics are harsh on the systems.
Are you using the honey yet?
How is his appetite doing?

Keep us posted on his progress.
Tracie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
Drache613":3thbrlp7 said:
Hello,,

Which antibiotics are you giving to him, do you have the name of it? Be sure to give
probiotics for him because the antibiotics are harsh on the systems.
Are you using the honey yet?
How is his appetite doing?

Keep us posted on his progress.
Tracie
Im not positive what they are called but they are an injectable kind. I am giving him some vitimans along with the antibiotics. I haven't put honey on his ear yet because I figured it might be better to leave it alone. Do you think i should put it on anyway? His ear is full of fluid and appears to be slightly punctured

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have a copy of the office visit? If not call for one or ask what he was given and dosage- it's gonna help Tracie
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3vf88r37 said:
Do you have a copy of the office visit? If not call for one or ask what he was given and dosage- it's gonna help Tracie
Karrie
Tazicef 1 gram injections. The good news is he's 2 days in and he already seems slightly better. The swelling in his ear and face has gone down slightly and his eyes are watering a little bit less. He is also a little more energetic

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good to hear hopefully he's completely better by the time he's done w/ the antibiotic
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
As of right now he looks like this. I gave him His 3rd dose of antibiotics today he has 2 more His ear has definetly gotten better but still has a scab and you can't see through it. He's still not eating either but the runny eyes/nose have gotten way better. His eyes still bubble a little bit but they don't get stuck shut anymore they're still a little swollen but the swelling has gone down. I have been giving him vitamins but I think i am going to slow down on those because yesterday they made him puke on me. Any tips or thoughts.
101532-8901740410.jpg
101532-395892659.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hopefully Tracie will post tonite- I would keep him hydrated- and yes I would not give anymore vitamins if he threw them up and w/ him puking you want to keep him hydrated- did you ever try the honey?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom