Hello Beardie family....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesslynn

We are a new baby Beardie family and has the most cutest little guy (or girl ??‍♀️). We can’t decide on a name so maybe y’all can help! We have narrowed it down to Kiwi or Ziti... my family has a preference for food names apparently hahaha. Here’s a picture of our baby to help decide
108505-6035155337.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome he is adorable -- Kiwi is great!! :) If you have any questions or concerns please ask -- we are here to help----- where did you get your baby? If you would like to tell us his set up so we can give some suggestions etc please do so ---
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Aww, little bitty baby!
My daughter had 'Kiwi' in the running for ours...ours has still not been decided even though we know now that she's a girl!

Jesslynn

Original Poster
108505-7443357031.jpg
108505-3887111633.jpg
108505-5256803576.jpg
Thanks for the reply’s!

Kiwi is super cute, I’m hoping showing them the comments they decide.
We bought him at Petco in Poughkeepsie NY on 5/23/20. I’m not sure how old he was they had no clue either so we guessed maybe a month so we assume he’s 6 weeks now. He just went through his first shed starting Friday.
We bought the 40 gallon reptile tank setup. Zoo med dual Bulb UVB and a basking bulb. I also grabbed a Ceramic heat emitter bulb and I leave that on all day. I Do need to buy better theromostat/humidity gage because the setup only came with one and it’s in the middle of the tank. The humidity is at 40 and the temp is 80 degrees in that spot but I would like to know what the temps are on each side. Any recommendations on that?
I’m including a picture for some advice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You have a nice home for Kiwi but you are going to haft to do some tweeking on the equipment - unfortunately the "kits" sell things that are not adequate for the dragon - your stick temp gauge keep you can use for the humidity and ambient temps - it is not giving correct basking temps along w/ the hammock often times the digital probe I am going to recommend will not pick up a basking temp like a solid piece of decor --- so w/ that being said I would also recommend getting a piece of decor like this
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 this can be laid in the tank different ways to give him different spots to sit lay and stand --- it will also give a gradient heat as well - here is the probe you need https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5176729 I would 2 one for your cool side of tank and one for the basking side of tank--- you need basking temps 105-110 for Kiwi to properly digest his food --- next and another crucial thing is his UVB - the UVB provided in the kits are no good - they are not ideal and inadequate -- so I recommend you get this for him https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5176728 I recommend a 24" fixture w/ reflector and this bulb it is one of the best on the market at this time https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5123303 you will need a T 5 22" bulb for the 24" fixture -- I would replace this right away -- you have 2 options for the placement of this fixture either on top of screen w/ decor piece sitting directly underneath w/ decor piece 8-10 inches or inside the tank w/ decor piece sitting directly underneath 12-15 inches --- it is up to you -- you can look at your stores to see if they carry them if not you may haft to order on line and you can try here for that https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/ these people are good and fast they ship Fed Ex -- I would get this replaced ASAP
Are you feeding salads to Kiwi? Is he eating them? He will go thru relocation stress so his eating may slow down but he should NOT quit eating all together-- so the heat emitter should only be used in the tank when the tank is 65 degrees below - your basking bulb should be keeping temps 105-110 and your cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- dragons like temps in the 70's at nite and dark - it metabolizes their system-- the most important things in that tank for him are his basking temps and UVB -- that is going to control his overall health
If you need websites for insects like dubia roaches and worms for him please ask I will post for you or if your having issues w/ him not eating his salads - at this time his insects are his main diet but he does need to start eating some salad --- it will be easier to transition when his diet goes to 80% salad and 20% insects -- his insects need to be dusted 5 x per week once per day w/ calcium D3 and 2 x per week once per day w/ vitamins -- what are you feeding for insects ?
Here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its good to feed as a staple feeder
Karrie

Jesslynn

Original Poster
This is sooo amazing! Thank you so much. I am going to check out each link you posted and write this all down. I want to make sure I am doing the best thing for him! I see the UVB is very important and will get on that ASAP! I’ll prob order online. I’m going to reread all your info and get busy and I will write back with questions.
His diet is mainly small crickets. 3 x daily. Morning noon and night. He eats about 10 each feeding. I also make him a kale, collard greens, and maybe tiny carrots or squash. I also put a tiny bit of fruit but he doesn’t seem to care about that. I don’t leave a water dish in the tank because I read about it causing humidity, so I mist him daily. We also do baths 2 x weekly.

Jesslynn

Original Poster
This might be a dumb question... with the fixture and T 5 22” bulb I will still need a basking bulb correct? Is the one I’m currently using fine? You suggest moving the hammock to the cooler side and buying the stick decor on the basking side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you need a basking bulb in the dome - take out the coil UVB you have and get rid of it-- in the meantime you may haft to take him outside for UVB- you can place him in a plastic tote NO glass and I recommend you do this because I dont want you losing him outside -for some reason they seem to think they can fly and they are very fast - we just had some lady lose her 3 month old and by a miracle she found him-- set him in direct sunlight/ partial shade on days 65+ degrees for ONLY 15 minutes --- you dont want to burn him up and those totes get hot - the 15 minutes will equal out to around 4 hrs of UVB --- the UVB fixture you get the 24" may come w/ a 5.0 bulb - you can use it as back up but they are not as strong as the 10.0 - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use not reptile use - yes I would move the hammock to the cooler side of the tank you want an accurate basking temp and the solid decor piece is going to give you that --- hammocks for some reason can throw temps off -- just make sure you get a temp w/ the bulb you have now and on a solid piece of decor w/ that digital probe thermometer you will need to let it sit on the decor piece for 10 minutes then see what it is- I dont know what wattage you have in there now -- when you install the UVB make sure you write the date on box or on calendar it will need to get changed out in approx 1 year -- I usually change mine out a month before -- you got a good diet going -- I am going to recommend getting a glass or ceramic dish to put worms and insects in --- one that they cant get out of and I recommend you get him some BSFL they are another great staple feeder and work great for luring to the salad bowl -- order some large ones do not dust and use as many as you want - it will compliment his crickets - these are also called calci worms nutri grubs or phoenix worms- you can get them from here www.dubiaroaches.com these people are very good - you can order him some horn worms but only order a small amount as they grow really fast and feed like 2 they will come small keep them in a cooler area so they dont grow so fast - they are a good hydrating worm - as he gets bigger you can look at getting some super worms like medium when hes around 3 months old - add these worms to the salad first thing in the morning in front of him -- the movement will get his attention - the BSFL can be kept on your kitchen counter for a few weeks before turning into a fly and then you can still feed those too -- I also recommend silk worms another great staple feeder - you can get them from here www.reptilianarts.com if you order in bulk they will come small and you will need to order food so you can feed them daily and clean containers out daily - they are really good for them -- here is a another site www.coastilsilkworms.com another place I order from either the west coast or east coast -- I feed dubias to my two dragons and silk worms along w/ other worms besides their salads -- all this will give him a really good diet -- you can disable your crickets by taking a leg off and put them in the w/ the salad after hes eaten from that bowl for like an hr or so -- you want him eating some salad even if its not alot but he will get used to eating it -- also rinse your greens before serving so he get moisture from that - the worms like the silk and the horn will also give moisture as well but the greens more so -- he needs to stay hydrated and you will be able to tell by his poop-- his urate will be white formed and moist -- if it get to where its dry and chalky looking hes dehydrated -- please ask if you have any more questions
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom