T8 question - Updated with new light pics - did I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
WinFam01":2uwp02d1 said:
Please be kind, this is a work in progress.
108070-5599730844.jpg
Her current bulb is *not* a 13w, it is a 26w, which is why I had been thinking it was ok. *I now know it is not*.
Measurement from inside top of screen straight down to top of "mountain" (which is her basking spot) is 9.5".
Measurement from inside top of screen straight down to top of rock structure is 12".

My conclusion, if I have come to it correctly, is that with the current set-up, a T8 (inside!) would be indicated.
BUT, because I read that T8 emits a different wavelength of light which may be seen by reptiles as a flicker that doesn't sound pleasant,
https://www.reptilecentre.com/blog/2016/09/difference-t8-t5-reptile-uvb-tubes/
I do wonder if we could have the correct distance for a T5 (inside!) if we were to make the top of the rock the basking spot instead? But then her body (& especially head), would not be 12" from the uvb, so I'm not sure?

Sorry for all the detailed questions! This is just the way my brain works at trying to make sure I understand correctly.?

I use 26W UVB200 CFBs in Exo Terra Nano Hoods mounted under the lid of my rearing tubs, no screen obstructing them so my dragons get very good levels of UVA & UVB at about 20cm from the closest point on the globe .
In your case based on the shading factor I worked out for your screen mesh lid, your dragon will not be getting anywhere near enough UV unless it can get as close as 2cm to the 26W 10% UVB CFB .

In the short term if the 26W 10% UVB CFB is under 3 months old, you could retire the dome it's in and invest in a Exo Terra Nano Hood , and mount that under the mesh , this will get you out of trouble until you can upgrade to a good T5 reflector hood and a T5 UVB tube of sufficient penetrating power and UVB rating to match your current tank or perhaps a future larger forever home for the dragon.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've managed to slide the screen partially off to expose her directly to the uvb for now.

I had a thought...
What about a T5 reptisun 5.0 bulb?? (Instead of the 10.0 I usually see recommended)
Would that make it so we could go with the T5 fixture inside and be able to get the correct distances?

I found this...
The ReptiSun® 5.0 is effective for UVB induced photo conversion of vitamin D3 in reptile's skin at distances up to 12″. A full 5% UVB output allows vitamin D3 synthesis to occur naturally, preventing or reversing MBD and other health problems in Turtles, Bearded Dragons, Iguanas, and other diurnal reptiles.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
WinFam01":2a524qwq said:
I've managed to slide the screen partially off to expose her directly to the uvb for now.

I had a thought...
What about a T5 reptisun 5.0 bulb?? (Instead of the 10.0 I usually see recommended)
Would that make it so we could go with the T5 fixture inside and be able to get the correct distances?

I found this...
The ReptiSun® 5.0 is effective for UVB induced photo conversion of vitamin D3 in reptile's skin at distances up to 12″. A full 5% UVB output allows vitamin D3 synthesis to occur naturally, preventing or reversing MBD and other health problems in Turtles, Bearded Dragons, Iguanas, and other diurnal reptiles.

CAREFUL with falling for the advertising hype " effective range " of a UV source
see this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=234800

Essentially all the claim of effective at a given distance means is that some UVA and UVB will be DETECTABLE using a SENSITIVE ( microW range ) SOLARMETER , it says nothing about how healthy the UVA and UVB flux will be at such near non-existant doses ( the reptile will never be able to accumulate sufficient UVA and UVB to stay healthy ).

I've already give flux vs distance charts for a similar power T8 ( in my chart it's the Arcadia T8 6% UVB tube ), so take the UVB at any given distance and adjust by 5/6 and you will have a good estimate for the UVB flux for the T8 5% UVB tube with or without reflector or reflector hood .
Aim to read off about 190 microW UVB / sq cm at the basking spot and about 100 microW UVB / sq cm in the warm zone and you'll be fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
5.0 bulbs are more for a aquarium use I would stick w/ the 10.0 -- better strength
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
T5 5.0, not T8.

Edited to add...I found a "Reptisun 5.0 terrarium hood" that's actually in stock, and it comes with a Reptisun 5.0 bulb is why I'm asking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 5.0 bulb is not as strong as the 10.0 -- my hoods came w/ the 5.0 - I swapped out the 5.0 for the 10.0-- just order the 10.0 bulb and when you get the hood take out the 5.0 use as a back up -- it would be equivalent to a T 8 strength
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
WinFam01":14bqqhnd said:
T5 5.0, not T8.

Edited to add...I found a "Reptisun 5.0 terrarium hood" that's actually in stock, and it comes with a Reptisun 5.0 bulb is why I'm asking.

If you can arrange the basking spot to be 6" to 8" from the t8 5% UVB tube ( in a reflector hood , under the mesh ) it'll be fine .

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":1mb2o03l said:
WinFam01":1mb2o03l said:
T5 5.0, not T8.

If you can arrange the basking spot to be 6" to 8" from the t8 5% UVB tube ( in a reflector hood , under the mesh ) it'll be fine .

This is a new one on me -- I never thought it would be ok to use a 5.0 under any circumstances, but I know Kingofnobbys to be very knowledgeable about such things.

We have a T5 HO 10.0 lamp on top of a screen (which cuts out about 30% of the light according to the meter) and our beardie's basking platform is about 10-12 inches from the top of the tank where the lamp sits. I check it with the meter about once a month so I'll know if the output drops, otherwise I replace the tube about once a year according the the manufacturer's instructions. Our beardie seems to be doing well with this setup -- his little skeleton looks good with X-rays. But this is just one example of something that works. There's obviously more than one way to give your beardie the UV that he/she needs.

I had a problem with those fancy terrarium hoods. Several of them shorted out on me where the cord connects to the hood. We finally got a cheap one without the hood -- minimalist with nothing much more than the reflector and the sockets to plug the tube into, but with a detachable cord that can be replaced if necessary. Not much to look at, but so far so good. If I remember correctly, I got it from Pangea Reptile, and it cost almost as much as the lamp itself to ship it to Alaska. :(

I don't know why almost all of them come with a 5.0 tube. :?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know why either - I think they were thinking more for aquarium use than for reptiles- I got both my Zoo Med fixtures from Pangea and have had 0 problems w/ them -- I went w/ the Acradia 14% bulbs since I have tanks 24" high but am switching to the 12%'s - one tank is already using the 12% and the 14% will be replaced in Aug--
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well what do you know?! I had looked at those "plain" fixtures at Pangea, but was going to go for the hood I had found elsewhere until I read what SH said...and when I went back to Pangea to take another look, it gave me an option for pick-up, because the warehouse is only about 30 minutes from where I live!
I think I am going to go with the T5 Reptisun 5.0 though - I just don't think I have the depth in this tank to get her 12-15" away from the T5 10.0. Even if we made the rock structure her basking spot instead of the mountain, she'd be closer than 12".
From the mountain basking spot she will be around 7" from the T5 5.0.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lucky you --- I just ordered from there today --- the 5.0 will work its equivalent to a T8 so your distance should be 8-10 inches
Karrie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
As long as the fixture fits the tube, the tube is what matters as far as the amount of UV you get, at least as long as it has a reflector. If you have a Reptisun T5 HO (made by Zoo Med and the kind I use) then (if I remember correctly) your beardie should be no closer than 6 inches from the lamp, otherwise it can harm their eyes. I have never used the Arcadias, but I understand that they are also high quality and a lot of people like them.

On rare occasions, our beardie stands up against the glass right under his UV lamp, which puts his eyes within the danger zone, so I turn off his "pretty color" for a little while since he doesn't seem to understand me when I tell him, "Don't do that -- you'll go blind," but on the other hand, "Don't get too far away from it either or you'll get MBD." Catch 22. Aren't reptiles fun. :roll:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":vpjpejkw said:
kingofnobbys":vpjpejkw said:
WinFam01":vpjpejkw said:
T5 5.0, not T8.

This is a new one on me -- I never thought it would be ok to use a 5.0 under any circumstances, but I know Kingofnobbys to be very knowledgeable about such things.

We have a T5 HO 10.0 lamp on top of a screen (which cuts out about 30% of the light according to the meter) and our beardie's basking platform is about 10-12 inches from the top of the tank where the lamp sits. I check it with the meter about once a month so I'll know if the output drops, otherwise I replace the tube about once a year according the the manufacturer's instructions. Our beardie seems to be doing well with this setup -- his little skeleton looks good with X-rays. But this is just one example of something that works. There's obviously more than one way to give your beardie the UV that he/she needs.

I had a problem with those fancy terrarium hoods. Several of them shorted out on me where the cord connects to the hood. We finally got a cheap one without the hood -- minimalist with nothing much more than the reflector and the sockets to plug the tube into, but with a detachable cord that can be replaced if necessary. Not much to look at, but so far so good. If I remember correctly, I got it from Pangea Reptile, and it cost almost as much as the lamp itself to ship it to Alaska. :(

I don't know why almost all of them come with a 5.0 tube. :?

Sales policy get the NOOBs to return to upgrade to that stronger 10%UVB or higher tube would be my guess.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We're going tomorrow to pick up the fixture and bulb. I ended up deciding to get an Arcadia 6% (T5) so that it would be a bit stronger than the 5.0.
Hopefully I made an ok call without asking here first.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get the 12%-- its a better bulb-- and if your getting it from Pangea I dont know if they have any-- I am not familiar w/ out put for the 6% bulb -- I use the Arcaida 12 and 14 in my tanks - the 14's are for tanks w/ a height distance of 24" or better - and since my tanks are 24" I can get away w/ it - the 14's are a real strong bulb - someone else will haft to comment on the 6% bulb
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom