Hatchling Food, Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, beardeddragon.org users. I am due to have hatchling bearded dragons soon, and I am gathering information. This will be my second clutch; a year and a month ago I also had a clutch. The first time I had them, I went to the pet store three times a week to buy crickets. As a result of this, I have two questions:

1. Where is a good online cricket seller?
2. How many crickets should I get at a time?
...assuming that the clutch is about 15-20 babies (last time it was 20, 5 infertile, 13 hatched).

Thank you for your input!
Please get back to me as soon as possible... I must have the info soon. Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What country are you located in ?

What STATE are you in ?

( can be important, esp now with much more demand on the local postal and parcel courier services because a lot of people are still being very cautious and socially distancing and socially isolating to avoid exposure to covid19 spreaders ).

Aim for roach's , hoppers ( locusts ) and crickets about the same length as the distance between the eyes of your hatchlings . Avoid making the mistake of buying feeder insects that are "pinhead" or similar size as these are
>> very delicate and too hard to keep alive
>> too hard for the hatchlings to keep track off
>> very poor protein : mass cf larger versions of the same insect.

Consider small ( 0.5 to 0.75 inch long ) silkworms and istar 2 black soldier fly lavae, blowfly lavae , and house fly lavae as feeders for your small newly hatched hatchlings.

1-week-old-silkworms.png

about 10mm long
3aug2017-batch-1-are-up-to-33mm-long-closeup.png

these are about up to 33mm long

bslf-life.png

This is the size cricket I give to hatchlings about 5g to 15g in size ( 4 to 6 weeks old)
20day-7mm-small-crickets.png

blowfly.png
gents-size-close-to-pupal-stage.png

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, for just hatched babies you need baby crickets that are no more than 1/4" and order about 2,000 at a time. Your first order should be the 1/8" crickets because they will grow quickly and you don't want them to be too big after a week. Your hatchlings won't eat for the first 2-5 days so it's O.K if the cricks are a bit on the small side. BSFL are good but would be super expensive to buy the amount you need. You can check with Great Lakes hornworm [ they sell crickets too ] , that's who I bought from for years but I haven't raised babies in the past 8 years so I get adult crickets,hornworms and superworms from them. You can try other companies as well like Rainbow mealworms + crickets , Georgia premium crickets and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom