Passing Blood - Baytril - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daluha

So Ripley was prescribed Baytril (2.5% 0.2ml for 30 days) for an injured toe that had gone necrotic.

I gave her her first dose on Monday. I've also been giving her reptoboost probiotic. Since she started her appetite has been very patchy which I know is common, as well as a black beard and some lethargy.

So this morning I found that she had passed blood (photo below). She also had a poop in a separate spot which contained no blood but had water mixed with it. I didn't think to take a photo as this was before I noticed the blood.

https://freeimage.host/i/JkGU12
(Posted link as IMG doesn't seem to be working)

I'm very concerned at this point. I will be calling the vets first thing on Monday morning to arrange an x-ray. Should I stop giving the antibiotics?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that Ripley is having this trouble, how did she injure her toe and can you post a pic of it ? Is she housed with another dragon ? Some injuries don't need oral antibiotics, just topical.

daluha

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

Sure, here's a pic. I think she may have damaged it on her hammock which I've taken out now just in case. She's housed on her own too.

BrmIEdc.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Personally I would not use any more Baytril , I would soak it in a betadine/water solution and then use Neosporin or raw honey on it. If she will sit still while you hold her you can just use a small jar or paper cup to put the betadine mixture in and let that foot dangle in it. If she won't sit still for that, put her in a small plastic tub with the mixture and warm water for 10 minutes but don't let her drink it. After it's dry put some unpasteurized honey or neosporin on it. If you use honey be sure there are no loose insects in her cage or they will go after the toe. I think it will be fine.

daluha

Original Poster
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll start doing that, just once daily? What's your opinion on her passing blood, do you reckon it'll stop if she's not on the antibiotic?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Too bad these hammocks are causing toe injuries in a number of dragons when they get their toes snagged. But yes, I'd stop the antibiotics since they're making her sick. You don't need an xray either, this should heal on it's own with topical ointments. Even in the case where a toe falls off it's not too traumatic for these guys but I don't that will happen at all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, since she seems to be having some trouble since starting the baytril, I would take
her off of it right now & try to talk with the vet on monday. If you have any probiotics, you
can give some of those to see if that helps to settle her tummy.
I love those hammocks but so many dragons seem to injure themselves on them. Her toe
should heal up just fine with some extra attention. As suggested, just use the honey or some
antibiotic ointment on it, to help clear it up.

Tracie

daluha

Original Poster
I'll be sure to keep on giving probiotics - I already have tamodine and raw honey so I can start that straight away :)

Thanks for the replies, these forums have been a lifesaver!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Sounds like you've got the right stuff and this will probably do the trick. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom