Eye Roundness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihatan

full

Hello all,

Today I noticed that my beardie's eyes have different roundness. Looking at the attached picture, it seems like his right eye is more round than his left. I've never noticed this before, so it may just be how he is. Putting light pressure around his eyes illicits no reactions, so it doesn't seem to be hurting.

Is this something worrysome, or is this normal?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Eye bulging is something beardies do, but I'm not sure if they can do it with one eye and not the other at the same time. It's normal although no one knows for sure why they do it, except maybe to help shed the skin around their eyes. Yours looks ok in the photos if that's what it is.

Yes; I think it's fine. The first time my beardies did this, I was in mystery as well, but as soon as they heard me come in, they opened their eyes and that ended.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It should be temporary , especially if a shed is coming , or the dragon has eaten.

If it persists , or worsens , I'd have a reptile vet take a good look , it may be symptomatic of a something wrong health wise. Swollen eye sockets can be indicative of several different health issues , some are life threatening .
My lovely big boy Puff had a swollen eye , turned out this was fluid pressure in the tissues and eyesocket due a large aneurism on his jugular.
Looking at your dragon , this may be just a aspect of the lighting in the photo, but it appears there may be some swelling in the area I've highlighted
Untitledswelling.png

Puff's problems started like that and over a period a several months the swelling on the back of his head became very pronounced and one of his eye's very distended. Keep a very close eye on this and deal with it earlier than I did , my vet misdiagnosed the swelling as an abscess and only discovered it was a very large aneurism when he opened it up and discovered it was full of blood and very hard to repair . Puff never survived recovery after his very big operation.

If it's an aneurism , treat it early before it gets lifethreatening , and make sure to harvest and store some of the dragon's blood before surgery as it'll need transfusions , find a very good reptile vet surgeon is my advise too. Doctor Tosney (?) in the USA might be able to direct you to one in your area who has experience with dragon aneurisms.

I'd be taking photos from the same angles above and to each side of the dragon's head at least weekly , this will help you pick up any changes ( increases is swelling, or other wise ) , if thing are happening faster , then perhaps daily or every other day.
This can very important information for the vet to work off and can give the vet some clues.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Very good advice from Kingofnobbys, and I didn't mean to imply that it was for sure nothing to worry about. By all means keep an eye on it (no pun intended :wink: ) and see a good reptile vet if it gets any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom