Weird breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Most of the Zoo Meds come w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used but its not as strong as the 10.0 its for reptiles the 5.0 is for aquarium use -- so let us know what you end up finding and we can tell you where and how far to place for best effects of the bulb
Karrie

worried4griff

Original Poster
108252-3415846559.jpg
I ended up getting this I hope this solves the problem. I wanted to get one that’s a little smaller but every where I looked was out of stock of anything below 36”. My tank is a 40 gallon so it would fit perfect except for my heat lamp which I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to fit both the heat lamp and UV on top of his cage.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I would upgrade your tank now --- the 36" is really too long for your tank -- he will not be able to escape the rays of the UVB w/ out having to hide from it --- so I would cover half the light up w/ a towel etc --- or at least 12" of it up so he can still be out w/ out having to hide from it or put it clear to the the back of the tank on top of screen and have your basking decor piece or pieces under it separately -- he needs to be able to not haft to sit under it all the time -- your decor piece should sit 8-10 inches directly under it -- you may haft to do some dinkin around w/ it when you get it -- I would look at upgrading his tank to a 75 gallon or 120 gallon - a 120 gallon would be a 4x2x2 --- which would give more room for him w/ out the UVB -- I am using a 24" fixture in my 4x2x2 ---
Karrie

worried4griff

Original Poster
Half of his cage is a log hide I don’t know if that effects or that’s a good way for him to escape the rays of the UV bulb if not I could always return the piece I just got and get a smaller one once they restock but use the new one with a towel to cover half of it until then.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want him out basking so I would cover half the fixture w/ a towel on the cool side of the tank and leave the other where his basking side is open - if he can get to the front of the tank and not be under it that would be good -- you want to give him the option of not having to site under the UVB all the time --- mine do not sit constantly under the basking lamp nor UVB - they have options of doing both - my basking spot is to the right back of the tank and the UVB is in the front of the tank - so they have a cool side a warm part which is middle of tank and then a hot side- so there are 3 different temps in the tank -- cool warm and hot -- thats good about the bubble being gone---- what about the other issue w/ the breathing -- and his behavior since you put the new UVB in?
Karrie

worried4griff

Original Poster
There wasn’t another problem with his breathing. He did take a month to do a full body shed though and he literally finished 2 days ago and is shedding again. I haven’t put in the new UV bulb yet because I ordered it online so it will take a few days to get here.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok --- mine is still going thru a shed - a back part shed and its taking forever to come off - hes got one foot shedding - and his head has been a opaque looking color forever --- and hes been not eating as much so I am sure it has something to do w/ the shedding
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep it happens -- just let him do his thing - if he gets real crackly and its coming off you can spray him to loosen the shed up and it will come off - Blaze has learned to drag his tummy on the tile in the tank and rub under his log to get parts of shed off -
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I'm just noticing that what you showed that you got is a T8 bulb with a T5 hood. Did you order it that way?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just noticed that too - I don't think it's gonna fit- you will need to exchange it for a T 5 bulb - see if a pet store will swap it out if they have one in stock
Karrie

worried4griff

Original Poster
The hood came with a T5 bulb I got the other one thinking it needed to be a 10.0 bulb I guess I’ll just return the other bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Exchange it for another one and hang onto it for when you need to replace which will be in 11 months- I always change them out a month before they are due -- it will last - they dont expire until you turn them on a year or so later -- have you gotten it installed yet and where is it ?
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
So the Reptisun T5 hood comes with a T5 5.0 bulb.
If you want to use a 10.0 (which is generally recommended), you'll need to get a T5 10.0
T5 and T8 bulbs are not interchangeable.
HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom